VMware Cloud Community
Andy90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Get-VMStartPolicy receives error: "Requested value 'systemDefault' was not found"

I am trying to get all virtual machine of a VMHost, which have "None" StartAction.

[ESX-Server >> Configuration Tab >> Virtual Machine Startup / Shutdown]

I used the following command:

Get-VMStartPolicy -VMHost <HostName> | Select VM, StartAction | Where {$_.StartAction -eq "None"}

My problem is now, we have about 20 ESX-Host and for 17 of them, the command is running.

For 3 of them I got the following error:

Get-VMStartPolicy : 07.05.2015 11:51:33    Get-VMStartPolicy        Requested value 'systemDefault' was not found.   

At line:1 char:1

+ Get-VMStartPolicy -VMHost <HostName>

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-VMStartPolicy], VimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_BaseCmdlet_UnknownError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Host.GetVMStartPolicy

In addition, I tried the the following command:

Get-VMStartPolicy -VMHost <HOSTNAME>

An Example of one successfull ESX-Server:

Get-VMStartPolicy -VMHost "Server1"

VM                             StartAction       StartDelay      StartOrder

VM1                              PowerOn      120 (Inh.)      1        

VM2                              PowerOn      120 (Inh.)      2        

An Example of one failed ESX-Server:

Get-VMStartPolicy -VMHost "Server2"

Get-VMStartPolicy : 07.05.2015 12:10:51    Get-VMStartPolicy        Requested value 'systemDefault' was not found.   

At line:1 char:1

+ Get-VMStartPolicy -VMHost Server2

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-VMStartPolicy], VimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_BaseCmdlet_UnknownError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Host.GetVMStartPolicy

Other Commands like "Get-VMHostAdvancedConfiguration -VMHost "gbczbesx01.company.internal" are working fine for the affected servers.

Can someone tell me, what the above mentioned error messages means?

And why does this command fails for some Hosts?

Thanks.

[I am using this command in a powershell-script]

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Andy90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I got the following response from VMware Support:

"There is an internal PR open with Engineering for this issue but I see it has not been updated since last year. Engineering have not prioritized this issue due to the availability of a workaround. (manually changing the lowercase S to uppercase S) it is unlikely I will have an answer for your questions anytime soon. I have put your questions to them and attached this case to the PR. As soon as I have any information for you I will leave you know. I do expect that this may take some time as a fix for this will need to be coded into a future release."

The following workaround can fix the above mentioned error-message:

Edit the VMAutoStart.xml (under /etc/vmware/hostd) and check for entries "<stopAction>systemDefault</stopAction>" (lowercase "s") and replace it with <stopAction>SystemDefault</stopAction> (uppercase "S").

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are these ESXi nodes in a cluster ?

The ones that work and the ones that fail ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
Andy90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, both of these ESXi nodes are not in a cluster.

They are all in the same datacenter and have also the same firmware. That's why I don't understand the problem.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Which PowerCLI version are you using ?

0 Kudos
Andy90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

PowerCli 5.5 Release 1

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Is it possible to upgrade to 5.8 or 6 ?

0 Kudos
Andy90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, in the Moment this is not possible.

The point is that on one host, the command works and on the other (same firmware, same version) its not working.

0 Kudos
Andy90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I updated my PowerCLI now to version 6.0 Release 1.

My ESXi Hosts are still 5.5.0 (build 2068190).

After upgrading the PowerCli to 6.0 R1, I got the still the same error.

0 Kudos
MattyShort
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is a registered bug with VMware.  Bug ID 1336800.  The aim from VMware is to have this fixed in PowerCLI 6.0R2.  This is the official word I have back from VMware after getting the error investigated as I have also had this issue

0 Kudos
Andy90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I got the following response from VMware Support:

"There is an internal PR open with Engineering for this issue but I see it has not been updated since last year. Engineering have not prioritized this issue due to the availability of a workaround. (manually changing the lowercase S to uppercase S) it is unlikely I will have an answer for your questions anytime soon. I have put your questions to them and attached this case to the PR. As soon as I have any information for you I will leave you know. I do expect that this may take some time as a fix for this will need to be coded into a future release."

The following workaround can fix the above mentioned error-message:

Edit the VMAutoStart.xml (under /etc/vmware/hostd) and check for entries "<stopAction>systemDefault</stopAction>" (lowercase "s") and replace it with <stopAction>SystemDefault</stopAction> (uppercase "S").

0 Kudos