VMware Cloud Community
simonea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Get-VMHostFirmware - Network config??

Get-VMHostFirmware - vSphere PowerCLI Cmdlets Reference

Would anyone happen to know if the Network config gets captured when you use the -backupconfiguration switch?

I tried a test restore after I deliberately amended the network config to a host and I could not see any change to the network config..

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Do you mean the network config of the ESXi itself, or the virtual network defined in the vSphere environment ?

The firmware backup is, afaik, only intended to restore a specific ESXi server

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
simonea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi LucD!

It is the network config on a specific ESXi host that does not seem to be present/get restored.

Example..

I have a vSwitch that I had 2xNICs assigned to

I ran a backup using Get-VMHostFirmware -backupconfiguration (which was successfull)

Then I removed 1 NIC from the vSwitch

I then ran a restore which appeared successfull, but after the host auto restarted the NIC did not appear back on the vSwitch I removed it from.

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I think that belongs to what I called the virtual network.

You can try to remove or reconfigure one of the vmnics that are connected to the ESXi host.

That configuration will be restored afaik.

0 Kudos
simonea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hmm perhaps I am miss under standing so appologies in advance!

Looking at the vSwitch I had 2x vmnics that were connected before the backup.. I then removed one vmnic and carried out a restore, the vmnic was not restored to the vSwitch.

Its that aspect I hope to catch in the backup.. if that is not possible then such be life Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

A vSwitch is not part of your ESXi host config.

I don't think that info is included in the firmware backup, I guess that's life Smiley Wink

simonea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks LucD

Oh well such be life.. :smileysilly:

0 Kudos