VMware Cloud Community
AGFlora
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Get VM Cluster Name, Host Name, CPU and Cores

HI

All of the following code is yielding the desired results except the last line. I can't seem to get it to work. What am I doing wrong?

Get-VM | Select Name, @{N="Cluster";E={Get-Cluster -VM $_}},

@{N= "ESX Host";E={Get-VMHost -VM $_}},

@{N= "NumCPU";E={Get-VMHost -VM $_ | Select NumCPU}},

@{N= "Cores";E={Get-VMHost -VM $_ | Get-View).Hardware.CpuInfo.NumCpuCores}}

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

There was a missing ( in front of your last Get-VMHost. You also just want the attribute NumCPU, not an object containing one attribute NumCPU so I've changed line 3 a little

@{N= "NumCPU";E={(Get-VMHost -VM $_).NumCPU}},

@{N= "Cores";E={(Get-VMHost -VM $_ | Get-View).Hardware.CpuInfo.NumCpuCores}}

If you're running this for a large # of VMs you may want to look at optimizing it a bit. Rather than calling "Get-VMHost" multiple times you can restructure a bit so its only called once

@{N= "ESX Host";E={ $Script:VMH = (Get-VMHost -VM $_ ); $Script:VMH.Name }},

@{N= "NumCPU";E={$Script:VMH.NumCPU}},

@{N= "Cores";E={$Script:VMH.ExtensionData.Hardware.CpuInfo.NumCpuCores}}

The 2nd piece of code is a little over 2x faster than the first since Get-VMHost isn't being called multiple times

One other quick thing, if you're looking for the number of CPUs (i.e. how many sockets) then replace $Script:VMH.NumCPU with $Script:VMH.ExtensionData.Hardware.CpuInfo.NumCpuPackages; the NumCPU attribute of the host object is actually the number of cores so that can be a bit misleading

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

There was a missing ( in front of your last Get-VMHost. You also just want the attribute NumCPU, not an object containing one attribute NumCPU so I've changed line 3 a little

@{N= "NumCPU";E={(Get-VMHost -VM $_).NumCPU}},

@{N= "Cores";E={(Get-VMHost -VM $_ | Get-View).Hardware.CpuInfo.NumCpuCores}}

If you're running this for a large # of VMs you may want to look at optimizing it a bit. Rather than calling "Get-VMHost" multiple times you can restructure a bit so its only called once

The 2nd piece of code is a little over 2x faster than the first since Get-VMHost isn't being called multiple times

One other quick thing, if you're looking for the number of CPUs (i.e. how many sockets) then replace $Script:VMH.NumCPU with $Script:VMH.ExtensionData.Hardware.CpuInfo.NumCpuPackages; the NumCPU attribute of the host object is actually the number of cores so that can be a bit misleading

0 Kudos
AGFlora
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Craig! Exactly what I was looking for and more.

0 Kudos
AGFlora
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One more question if I may?

How can I add the VMHost count?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

$Results = Get-VM | Select Name, @{N="Cluster";E={Get-Cluster -VM $_}},

# VM to host

$Results

# hosts per cluster (count)

$Results | Select-Object Cluster, "ESX Host" -Unique | Group-Object Cluster -NoElement | Select-Object @{N="Cluster"; E={$_.Name}}, @{N="NumHosts"; E={$_.Count}}

# total hosts

"Total Hosts: " + ($Results | Select-Object "ESX Host" -Unique | Measure-Object).Count

0 Kudos
AGFlora
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How would you pipe this all to a csv file?

0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Each line in a CSV file needs to have the same fields, and you're dealing with three types of data (VM data, a host rollup, and a summation) so the fields aren't the same. What are you planning to do with the CSV file? There may be another format that could be used...

0 Kudos
AGFlora
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I need to send this as a report. Your first answer worked and I was able to export all the data to a csv file. Now they want the vmhost cluster count in the report as well.

Thanks for your quick response.

0 Kudos
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You could do something similar to this (replace C:\reports with your preferred reports directory). You'll end up with 2 files that you can then import into whatever you're using to format your reports.

$Results = Get-VM | Select Name, @{N="Cluster";E={Get-Cluster -VM $_}},

# VM to host

$Results | Export-CSV -NoTypeInformation -Path "C:\Reports\VMs.csv"

# hosts per cluster (count)

$Results | Select-Object Cluster, "ESX Host" -Unique | Group-Object Cluster -NoElement | Select-Object @{N="Cluster"; E={$_.Name}}, @{N="NumHosts"; E={$_.Count}} | Export-CSV -NoTypeInformation -Path "C:\Reports\HostsByCluster.csv"

AGFlora
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was hoping to have all the data in one file but oh well.

Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos