VMware Cloud Community
hcaken
Contributor
Contributor

Get-Stat Permission to perform this operation was denied.

I can view performance metrics in vsphere web access and pull vm information using get-view but when I try to use get-stat I receive the following error.

Get-Stat Permission to perform this operation was denied. Required privilege 'System.Read' on managed object with id 'Folder-group-d1'. 

I am not an admin in this VMSphere environment but I have been told by the admins I do have access. Is anyone able to tell me what permissions/roles could be missing so that I can take them back to the admins and have them test this. I only have access to a set of folders and vm clients. So I will not be able to be set as an admin. This is a corporate environment so that is not possible.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

That is the root folder of your vSphere environment.

It looks like your admins didn't give you a role on the top level (the vCenter entry).

A Read-Only should be sufficient to retrieve statistics.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
hcaken
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I did not get an alert this was answered. So is this the only option? I can see perf data permissions without this option but powercli requires it?  That seems odd.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure what you mean by "I can see perf data permissions", but the error you mentioned is quite clear.

You are missing system.read on the root folder.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos