VMware Cloud Community
RevCycleHC
Contributor
Contributor

Get-SpbmStoragePolicy issues

Currently on VVols and Trying to gather my storage policies through CLI so I can manage them through CLI however the Get-SpbmStoragePolicy command throws red when encountering a policy I have defined on the vcenter with specific storage rules. Im able to create a new policy with very basic no vvol requirement type setup and running the command grabs them but if I define a Datastore Specific rule for my storage, specific Placement, and specific replication, everything works fine in the GUI but the command Get-SpbmStoragePolicy errors out when encountering them. 

Get-SpbmStoragePolicy : 2/17/2021 8:48:03 AM Get-SpbmStoragePolicy Rule set has other line of service rules without any persistence line of service rule.
At line:1 char:1
+ Get-SpbmStoragePolicy
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-SpbmStoragePolicy], VimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Spbm_Impl_ProfileServiceImpl_RuleSetNoPersistenceNamespace,VMware.VimAutomation.Storage.Commands.Cmdlets.Spbm.GetStorageProfile

policy4.PNG

Policy2.PNG

Policy1.PNG

policy3.PNG

   

0 Kudos
12 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Did your previous storage policy-related issue get resolved via the SR?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
RevCycleHC
Contributor
Contributor

No, I opened a SR and they replied with

"Thank you for the details and quick response 

I consulted with escalation team and they stated you need to contact the SDK team so developers can help to resolve the issue 
here is the kb article for the contact: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1029840 "

Which when going down that road they wanted an additional support agreement purchased to continue any kind of help. 

I updated...everything, powershell and powercli version as a new powercli was released and now the error Im posting about is new, trying to stay on the latest and greatest versions of everything available. If the error I posted here should be redirected back to another SR Please just let me know. 

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

The claim that you need SDK Support for PowerCLI issues is incorrect, and (still) often made by GSS.
Point them to PowerCLI Support Breakdown

0 Kudos
NimbleStorage
Contributor
Contributor

I am hitting the same exact issue after I upgrade to the latest VMware PowerCLI 12.2.0.17538434.  I believe there is something is wrong on the package.  I wonder if you get any resolution one this?

This is is what I am getiing.

====================================

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Get-SpbmStoragePolicy

Name Description Rule Sets Common Rules
---- ----------- --------- ------------
VVol No Requireme... Allow the datastore to determine t...
VM Encryption Policy Sample storage policy for VMware's... {} {}
Host-local PMem D... Storage policy used as default for... {} {PMem.PMemType (missing)=Lo...
vSAN Default Stor... Storage policy used as default for... {(VSAN.hostFailuresToTolera... {}
Get-SpbmStoragePolicy : 2/19/2021 2:51:09 PM Get-SpbmStoragePolicy Rule set has other line of service rules without any persistence
line of service rule.
+ Get-SpbmStoragePolicy
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-SpbmStoragePolicy], VimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Spbm_Impl_ProfileServiceImpl_RuleSetNoPersistenceNamespace,VMware.VimAutomation.Storage.Commands.Cmdlets.Spbm.GetS
torageProfile

==================================

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I suggest opening an SR, that way the issue gets higher on the list of the Dev Team of things to fix.

0 Kudos
lewiscob
Contributor
Contributor

Did you get any resolution for this issue? I am having the same issues and am also using Pure Storage.

0 Kudos
NimbleStorage
Contributor
Contributor

No.  I did not find a resolution.  I did not file SR either since I sow someone in this communication already opened SR.  I moved back to 12.1 package.  I will wait for 12.3 package.  I believe, Get-SpbmStoragePolicy has an issue if you create new policy.

0 Kudos
chall32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Quick post to chime in - seeing this issue too. 

Get-SpbmEntityConfiguration -VM MyVM

Entity                         Storage Policy                 Status          Time Of Check         
------                         --------------                 ------          -------------         
Get-SpbmEntityConfiguration : 17/03/2021 09:12:28	Get-SpbmEntityConfiguration		Rule set has other line of service rules without any persistence line of service rule. 	
+ Get-SpbmEntityConfiguration -VM MyVM
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-SpbmEntityConfiguration], VimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Spbm_Impl_ProfileServiceImpl_RuleSetNoPersistenceNamespace,VMware.VimAutomation.Storage.Commands.Cmdlets.Spbm.GetSpbmEntityConfiguration

MyVM                                                 compliant       17/03/2021 01:28:48   

Seems to be the Storage Policy name that its having a problem returning.  

Also running with Pure Storage, PowerCLI 12.2.0

0 Kudos
RevCycleHC
Contributor
Contributor

I opened up an SR but all the SR team was told me to open up another ticket with the SDK team which Im having trouble doing

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Did GSS claim you need a Developer Support contract to get PowerCLI support?
That is in fact not entirely correct.
Point them to PowerCLI Support Breakdown

0 Kudos
RevCycleHC
Contributor
Contributor

They did and their recommendation is here:

https://www.vmware.com/support/services/sdk.html

Im really at a loss here, Im clearly not the only one getting this error, Im on the latest and greatest everything, I KNOW why Im getting this error its just PowerCLI is not handling the error well and spits out what weve been posting. How can I get this escalated?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I would suggest to contact your TAM

0 Kudos