VMware Cloud Community
Pinball
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Get-SpbmStoragePolicy fails with "Index was outside the bounds of the array"

Hi All

Trying to make use of William Lams great post on correcting VSAN Thick/Thin disk assignment but getting the following when trying to use the script or a single command. I've seen this on a similar pos related to consuming Tags.

Environment:

Client side = Windows 10

PowerCli Version = VMware vSphere PowerCLI 6.3 Release 1 build 3737840

vCenter = VCSA 6.0 U2 Build 3634794

Script source:

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2016/06/heads-up-ovfova-always-deployed-as-thick-on-vsan-when-using-v...

Error:

PowerCLI C:\Scripts> Get-SpbmStoragePolicy -Name "my"

Get-SpbmStoragePolicy : 26/07/2016 14:47:01    Get-SpbmStoragePolicy        Index was outside the bounds of the array.

At line:1 char:1

+ Get-SpbmStoragePolicy -Name "my"

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-SpbmStoragePolicy], VimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_BaseCmdlet_UnknownError,VMware.VimAutomation.Storage.Commands.Cmdlets.Spbm.GetStora

geProfile

Running the full script: (modified the line with the vc connection details and the line where the vm is listed.

PowerCLI C:\Scripts> .\Set-VSANPolicy.ps1

Applying VSAN VM Storage Policy: Virtual SAN Default Storage Policy to DLTGIT01 ...

Get-SpbmEntityConfiguration : 26/07/2016 10:13:37    Get-SpbmEntityConfiguration        Index was outside the bounds

of the array.

At C:\Scripts\Set-VSANPolicy.ps1:25 char:53

+ ... onfiguration -Configuration (Get-SpbmEntityConfiguration $hds) -Stora ...

+                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-SpbmEntityConfiguration], VimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_BaseCmdlet_UnknownError,VMware.VimAutomation.Storage.Commands.Cmdlets.Spbm.GetSpbmE

ntityConfiguration

Set-SpbmEntityConfiguration : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'Configuration'. The argument is null or empty.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

If it's any consolation, you're not alone.

The issue has been reported several times before.

Looks like a bug I'm afraid.

Over to the Dev Team.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
Pinball
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick response Luc

I'll wait in the wings then for the fix. Any suggestions on a workaround then, this VSAN thick/tin conversion is quite an issue and it seems like PowerCli is the only way.

I'll ask William on his block what version he used to make it work.

Johan

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

I recall running the latest version which was PowerCLI 6.3 R1 but didn't run into the bug you mentioned. Since then, I've upgraded to several other versions for beta testing, so I can't say 100%. Maybe alanrenouf‌ can chime in on this particular issue?

0 Kudos
jb_bhs
Contributor
Contributor

Somewhat similarly, I get this when trying to run Get-SpbmEntityConfiguration to check compliance:

Get-SpbmEntityConfiguration : 8/16/2016 2:12:02 PM    Get-SpbmEntityConfiguration        Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size

of the collection.

Parameter name: index   

At line:1 char:1

+ Get-SpbmEntityConfiguration

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-SpbmEntityConfiguration], VimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_BaseCmdlet_UnknownError,VMware.VimAutomation.Storage.Commands.Cmdlets.Spbm.GetSpbmEntityConfiguration

0 Kudos