VMware Cloud Community
jroeser637
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Get-Pool is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, or script...

Hello!

I am trying to automate a recompose operation. I've been struggling to get the Get-Pool command to work; the odd thing is that other commands WILL work. For example, some of the things I can do are:

Connect-VIserver

Get-VM

New-Snapshot

Yet for some reason, I cannot do Get-Pool. I've googled this and tried looking through multiple forums, but I keep hitting a wall. When I do a get-PSsnapin -registered, I see the following registered:

VMware.DeployAuotmation
VMware.ImageBuilder

VMware.VimAutomation.Core

VMware.VimAutomation.License

VMware.VimAutomation.Storage

VMware.VimAutomation.Vds

WDeploySnapin3.0

My research showed me that for Get-Pool cmdlet, the VMware.VimAutomation.Core was necessary. I also ran PowerCLI as administrator. I even tried upgrading PowerCLI to 5.8. Why is this cmdlet not recognized? I find it odd that I can take a snapshot but I can't recompose a pool. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

~Justin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm afraid not, the View cmdlets come in a separate PSSnapin (called VMware.View.Broker) that is only available on the View Connection server(s).

In my post that is described in Method 1.

Note that these cmdlets only work in PowerShell 2, or in a PowerShell session that is started as a Version 2 session.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do you mean the View Get-Pool cmdlet ?

That requires the View PSSnapin, see my How to run View PowerCLI

0 Kudos
jroeser637
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LucD,

Thank you for your prompt reply! Maybe I'm just not understanding how to use PowerCLI properly, but wouldn't View PSSnapin already be installed? I checked over your article, but I'm still spinning my wheels here! I can run either PowerCLI or Powershell; PowerCLI already comes in with a bunch of those VM plugins. If View PSSnapin doesn't come included, where can I download and install it from? Thanks again!

~Justin

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm afraid not, the View cmdlets come in a separate PSSnapin (called VMware.View.Broker) that is only available on the View Connection server(s).

In my post that is described in Method 1.

Note that these cmdlets only work in PowerShell 2, or in a PowerShell session that is started as a Version 2 session.

0 Kudos
jroeser637
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you! I tried running the commands on my connection server and everything worked out great! Now I'm just gonna figure out how to run the commands remotely. I'll see if I can get that script to work on the link you gave. Worst case scenario, I can always just create a script on the connection server itself and use psexec to run it. Thanks a bunch!

0 Kudos
naveensrirangan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Greeting,

Im also trying to perform the same operation to recompose the linked clone VDI's for single machine and for the entire pool using powercli.

Can help me with the commands on how to do it?

0 Kudos