VMware Cloud Community
Nizue
Contributor
Contributor

Get Clustered VMDK datastores

Hello!

New vSphere 7.x has new datastore capability called 'Clustered VMDK'.

How can we show information about datastore clustered VMDK enabled status in PowerCLI?

We can get such data:

$datastore.ExtensionData.Capability.ClusteredVmdkSupported

It shows the capability of cluster VMDK support. But we need to get information about if it's enabled or not.

In GUI we can see such data:

20220225183545 datastore properties.png

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
knikolov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I think that the property that you've found is the correct one. Are you sure that it shows if the capability is supported or not, and not if the support is enabled or disabled? I don't see any other property and the enable/disable methods are called EnableClusteredVmdkSupport/DisableClusteredVmdkSupport which makes me think that ClusteredVmdkSupported is the correct property.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I was confused as well when I read the description of that property.
Perhaps you could ask for a clearer description as a doc update?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
kwhornlcs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I looked into this one over the weekend in hopes of answering....the property asked about is indeed just a capability indicator and does not indicate a config status of enabled or not - for the datastores I tested the property reported TRUE regardless of the actual config status of clustered vmdk on the datastore.

After searching the API and ESXCLI options, I could not find any documented properties or enumerations that would indicate the current config status for clustered vmdk.

0 Kudos
knikolov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We have confirmed that this is a functional issue in the API. I have filed a ticket to the vCenter team and they are working to fix the issue in the next major or patch release. If you need a hotfix please open a service request. I have also asked them to fix the API documentation and make the property description clearer.

knikolov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Update from the vCenter team. The issue with the property not showing the correct state has been fixed in vSphere 7.0.2 and they are working to improve the documentation as well.

0 Kudos