VMware Cloud Community
jacosta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Get-CisService Documentation Field - Explanation?

I've started working with the Get-CisService, which appears to open a WHOLE bunch of access points.  Issuing a 

$x = Get-CisService -Name com.vmware.appliance.health.load     AND   $x.help.Documentation   RETURNS

{@name Load} {@term service} provides {@term operations} Get load health.

What does the @name, @term, represent / mean?  I can get bits of information from $x.help.get.  But I'm curious what the above means and if there is a way to consume that information.  If anyone has a pointer to a website / article / etc. or perhaps a quick explanation, I'd be grateful.

Thanks

JoeA

Name Documentation
                            ---- -------------
com.vmware.appliance.health.load {@name Load} {@term service} provides {@term operations} Get load health.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

VMware is using Swagger to develop/describe their REST API.

Afaik these terms you are seeing under Documentation are attributes for specific words in the documentation for these REST API.
They have no impact on the service itself and are (again afaik) only used for formatting/documentation purposes.

You can see the structure of an object returned for a CIS service much better if you use the Format-Custom cmdlet.

fc.png

In fact you will see similar when you go to the same method via the REST API Explorer (watch the @term in there as well)
This interface is generated from the same Swagger files.

api-exp.png

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

VMware is using Swagger to develop/describe their REST API.

Afaik these terms you are seeing under Documentation are attributes for specific words in the documentation for these REST API.
They have no impact on the service itself and are (again afaik) only used for formatting/documentation purposes.

You can see the structure of an object returned for a CIS service much better if you use the Format-Custom cmdlet.

fc.png

In fact you will see similar when you go to the same method via the REST API Explorer (watch the @term in there as well)
This interface is generated from the same Swagger files.

api-exp.png

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
jacosta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the correct, informative answer Luc.  Time to delve into some Swagger and Format-Custom.  JoeA

0 Kudos