VMware Cloud Community
bvi1006
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FullyQualifiedErrorId : AmbiguousParameterSet,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.NewVM

Hi, I am trying to create a vm in a script I have been using for a long time. I upgraded PowerCLI and can no longer create a vm. I am creating the vm on premise, so I do not need any cloud capabilities. I am afraid now that I have a hybrid set of resources which are impacting the commands. Here is the list of resources, would someone please help? Thanks!

I am using ESXi 6.7 Update 1

ModuleType Version    Name                           ExportedCommands                                         
---------- -------    ----                           ----------------                                         
Script6.7.0.11233116  VMware.DeployAutomation        {Add-DeployRule, Add-ProxyServer, Add-ScriptBundle, Copy-Depl...
Script6.7.0.11233116  VMware.ImageBuilder            {Add-EsxSoftwareDepot, Add-EsxSoftwarePackage, Compare-EsxIma...
Manifest   11.2.0.12780525 VMware.PowerCLI                                                                              
Script6.7.0.12483609  VMware.Vim                                                                                   
Script11.2.0.12483642 VMware.VimAutomation.Cis.Core  {Connect-CisServer, Disconnect-CisServer, Get-CisService}
Script11.0.0.10379994 VMware.VimAutomation.Cloud     {Add-CIDatastore, Connect-CIServer, Disconnect-CIServer, Get-...
Script11.2.0.12483627 VMware.VimAutomation.Common                                                                  
Script11.2.0.12483638 VMware.VimAutomation.Core      {Add-PassthroughDevice, Add-VirtualSwitchPhysicalNetworkAdapt...
Script11.2.0.12483619 VMware.VimAutomation.Hcx       {Connect-HCXServer, Disconnect-HCXServer, Get-HCXAppliance, G...
Script7.6.0.12680098  VMware.VimAutomation.HorizonView{Connect-HVServer, Disconnect-HVServer}                  
Script10.0.0.7893904  VMware.VimAutomation.License   Get-LicenseDataManager                                   
Script11.2.0.12483633 VMware.VimAutomation.Nsxt      {Connect-NsxtServer, Disconnect-NsxtServer, Get-NsxtPolicySer...
Script11.2.0.12483635 VMware.VimAutomation.Sdk       {Get-ErrorReport, Get-PSVersion, Get-InstallPath}        
Script11.0.0.10380515 VMware.VimAutomation.Security  {Get-SecurityInfo, Get-VTpm, Get-VTpmCertificate, Get-VTpmCSR...
Script11.2.0.12483605 VMware.VimAutomation.Srm       {Connect-SrmServer, Disconnect-SrmServer}                
Script11.2.0.12483611 VMware.VimAutomation.Storage   {Add-KeyManagementServer, Copy-VDisk, Export-SpbmStoragePolic...
Script1.3.0.0    VMware.VimAutomation.StorageUtility Update-VmfsDatastore                                     
Script11.2.0.12483615 VMware.VimAutomation.Vds       {Add-VDSwitchPhysicalNetworkAdapter, Add-VDSwitchVMHost, Expo...
Script11.2.0.12483614 VMware.VimAutomation.Vmc       {Connect-Vmc, Disconnect-Vmc, Get-VmcSddcNetworkService, Get-...
Script10.0.0.7893921  VMware.VimAutomation.vROps     {Connect-OMServer, Disconnect-OMServer, Get-OMAlert, Get-OMAl...
Script6.5.1.7862888   VMware.VumAutomation           {Add-EntityBaseline, Copy-Patch, Get-Baseline, Get-Compliance...
0 Kudos
4 Replies
bvi1006
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I reverted back to version 10.1.1.8827524. I found that the -template has to be placed after the -name in the new-vm command. However, now I am finding that after typing in a few parameters, Powershell is no longer resolving the next parameter I wish to use. That to me is an indication that the command is not expecting those parameters, but of course it is.

New-Vm -name $Servername -template $template -vmhost $servernamehost -Datastore $Datastore -OSCustomizationSpec $servernametemp -ErrorAction stop

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I assume you are talking about Intellisense?
Is that at the PS prompt, in the ISE, in Code...?

Which 'few parameters' did you type? You might be falling into a specific parameterset.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
bvi1006
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes, intellisense.

It is the only command that is not working in the script or even typed in manually.

It is also not working when I run the script within the Webcommander which I have been using for a long time.

It has also also failed on my local machine using no variables. The one thing that changed is that we did upgrade your 6 to 6.7 U1 Which caused me to upgrade powercli.

what do you mean, caught in a parameterset?

Thx!

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

The New-VM cmdlet has different parametersets, meaning you can't use all the possible parameters in any combination you want.

You can see the available parametersets when you do

Get-Command -Name New-VM -Syntax

The different 'paragraphs' you see in the output each represent a parameterset.

newvm.png

Some of the parameters that only appear in 1 parameterset can not be used in another parameterset.

The message you get seems to indicate that there aren't sufficient parameters given to allow the cmdlet to determine which parameterset is used.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos