VMware Cloud Community
iguy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Format-Table & Get-VMHost properties..

I'm missing something. I've been working on this on and off for the past couple of days and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here. My goal is to ultimately develop an audit script for my environment using the VI Toolkit.

$scReserved = @{ Label = "Reserved"; Expression = { (Get-View -id (Get-View $_).ConfigManager.MemoryManager).ConsoleReservationInfo.ServiceConsoleReserved) } }

Get-VMHost | ft Name,$scReserved

This doesn't work.

I have a way to get this info by doing the following though i'd like to be able to use Format-Table instead. Why doesn't this work and what am I missing in how to do these Expressions?

This works though isn't a friendly to save out to a file or to use Format-Table.

$hosts = Get-VMHost | Get-View

foreach($hostview in $hosts) {

$mem Get-View -id $hostview.ConfigManager.MemoryManager

$h = $hostview.Name + ","+ $mem.ConsoleReservationInfo.ServiceConsoleReserved

Write-Host $h

}

Please Powershell me correctly.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The curly braces and parenthesis were not balanced

This sample will do what I think you were trying to do

$scReserved = @{Label = "Reserved"; Alignment = "Left";
             Expression={(Get-View -Id $_.ConfigManager.MemoryManager).ConsoleReservationInfo.ServiceConsoleReserved}}

Get-VMHost  | Where-Object {$_.State -eq "Connected"} |
  Get-View | 
  ft @{Label = "Name"; Expression = {$_.Name}; Width = 20}, $scReserved

Note that I added a Where-Object cmdlet to the pipe since you can't get the reserved memdory value for hosts that are not connected.

To show that the hash table table is used for formatting the objects I added some other keys (Alignment, Width) to the hash table.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The curly braces and parenthesis were not balanced

This sample will do what I think you were trying to do

$scReserved = @{Label = "Reserved"; Alignment = "Left";
             Expression={(Get-View -Id $_.ConfigManager.MemoryManager).ConsoleReservationInfo.ServiceConsoleReserved}}

Get-VMHost  | Where-Object {$_.State -eq "Connected"} |
  Get-View | 
  ft @{Label = "Name"; Expression = {$_.Name}; Width = 20}, $scReserved

Note that I added a Where-Object cmdlet to the pipe since you can't get the reserved memdory value for hosts that are not connected.

To show that the hash table table is used for formatting the objects I added some other keys (Alignment, Width) to the hash table.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos