VMware Cloud Community
Sureshadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Finding ESX FQDN using SC IP but unknown credentials

Hi,

I have a list of service console IP's of ESX servers but dont know their FQDN, dont know their VC details and dont know their credential details. But i can ping the SC IP and able to open the webaccess page using SC IP.

Is there a way to find FQDN of the ESX box using the IP. Please note ping -a (or) nbtstat -A do not work.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Is there a DNS service available ? Can't you do a nslookup ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
Sureshadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Luc,

nslookup fails. Looks like the ESX SC IP belong to different domain which is trusted to the domain which i'm logged in. Any other way, pls suggest.

0 Kudos
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership

If all your ESX and ESXi hosts are connected to your vCenter Server, you can create a list of Service Console (for ESX) and Management Network (for ESXi) IP addresses and the host's FQDN's with:

Get-VMHost | `
Get-VMHostNetworkAdapter | `
Where-Object {
  ($_.GetType().Name -eq "HostConsoleVirtualNicImpl" `
    -or $_.GetType().name -eq "HostVMKernelVirtualNicImpl") `
    -and ($_.PortGroupName -eq "Service Console" `
    -or $_.PortGroupName -eq "Management Network")} | `
Select-Object -Property IP,VMHost | `
Sort-Object -Property IP

Regards, Robert

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition
0 Kudos
Sureshadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your effort Robert.

But unfortunately as i mentioned earlier dont know the VC details.

The scenario is there are many esx boxes in many domains and there were many license purchased from VMware and used. Now lost track of license usage and have to tally it. Tracked 27000 port and got all IP address and want to find ESX FQDN.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I'm afraid I can't think of a way to get the FQDN only through the SC and without ESX(i) credentials.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
Sureshadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Luc.

In the webaccess frontpage if VMware displays the FQDN of the ESX box that would be so good.

0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

Could you possbly tracert the IP address.  Find the switch that the host is connected to.  Connect to the switch and line up the interface port with the physical server.  Then go to the server room and connect directly to the server and find out the servername?

0 Kudos