Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Find who created VM

Posted Sep 17, 2020 07:26 PM

Hi,

Is there a better way to find out which user created a VM without using the VM events? We are running vCenter 6.7 and would like to gather this information regardless of guest OS. I'm hoping for something similar to the new ExtensionData.Config.createDate property.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Find who created VM
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 17, 2020 07:31 PM

No, there isn't

• 3.  RE: Find who created VM

Posted Sep 17, 2020 07:32 PM

Bugger, thanks anyway!

• 4.  RE: Find who created VM

Posted Sep 17, 2020 07:34 PM

A handy way, but that doesn't fix the issue for existing VMs, is to add a Custom Attribute or write that info in the Notes.
    But ultimately you will have to look at an external VM Life Cycle management tool.

• 5.  RE: Find who created VM

Posted Jun 02, 2022 08:17 PM

There no way, without logs, to find previous creators of a VM, but there is a way to set a script to place the creator of a newly created VM's into the attributes section of the VM itself along with when it was created. This will allow you to track the creator moving forward. I have a detailed tutorial on my site here as it is to much to place in this box:

https://villainouswolf.com/how-to-add-vm-creator-and-time-created-to-the-attributes-of-a-vm-in-a-vcenter-alarm

It involves a script that runs in an alarm when a VM is created that does run on VCSA 6.7 tested. I even show you pictures of the steps used!

• 6.  RE: Find who created VM

Posted Jun 15, 2022 09:02 PM

Thank you for linking to this!!

• 7.  RE: Find who created VM

Posted Jun 16, 2022 12:21 PM

You're Welcome

• 8.  RE: Find who created VM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 16, 2022 04:03 PM

There isn't such an option available, Checking the logs, Tasks would help