VMware Cloud Community
riyas1988
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Filtering of Datastore names with donotuse prefix

Hi All,

Currently we are running below PowerShell command using Get-Datastore cmdlet from automation tool. The query is giving the lun available in the cluster. But we need to modify the same script to retrun lun without donotuse in its name.

New-VIProperty -Name availableMB -ObjectType Datastore -Value {$ds = $args[0]; $sum = 0; if ($ds.ExtensionData.summary.uncommitted -gt 0) { $sum = $ds.ExtensionData.summary.uncommitted}; $sum = $ds.ExtensionData.summary.freeSpace - $sum;  $sum = $sum/1024/1024; return $sum} -Force

(Get-Cluster -Name ${vCenterCluster} | Get-VMhost) | Where-Object {$_.availableMB -ge (${diskSize}*1024+${reservedSpace}*$_.CapacityMB) -and $_.CapacityMB -ge (${lunSize}*1024) -and $_.Name -like "*_lun*"} | Sort-Object availableMB | Select -First 1

Please provide your inputs.

For Example: If there is lun named xxxx_lun01donotuse or donotusexxxx_lun01 we dont want this lun to be returned from the script.

Thanks and Regards

Riyas Hussain A

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As far as I can tell you are not feeding datastore objects to the Where-clause, so you can not test on datastore properties in that Where-clause.

You can feed the objects produced by Get-Datastore to the Where-clause (see my previous reply)

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Isn't there something missing in your script ?

You use the availableMB property in the Where-clause, but that property is defined on a datastore object, not on a VMHost object.

And what are these ${...} notations ?

Are these parameters you pass to the script ?

That aside, I guess that with the "lun name", you mean the datastore name ?

If that is the case, then you can use a Where clause to test on the name.

Something like this for example:

Get-Cluster -Name MyCluster | Get-Datastore | Where {$_.Name -notmatch "donotuse"}

The -match operator expects a RegEx expression, so in this case we are skipping any datastore that has "donotuse" in it's name.

Does that answer your question ?

0 Kudos
riyas1988
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes. ${} are the variables which we pass input. I am mentioning Datastore only. As per your comments is the below script correct to provide the expected value?

Please confirm.

(Get-Cluster -Name ${vCenterCluster} | Get-VMhost) | Where-Object {$_.availableMB -ge (${diskSize}*1024+${reservedSpace}*$_.CapacityMB) -and $_.CapacityMB -ge (${lunSize}*1024) -and $_.Name -like "*_lun*" -and $_.Name -notmatch "donotuse"} | Sort-Object availableMB | Select -First 1

Thanks and Regards

Riyas

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As far as I can tell you are not feeding datastore objects to the Where-clause, so you can not test on datastore properties in that Where-clause.

You can feed the objects produced by Get-Datastore to the Where-clause (see my previous reply)

0 Kudos