VMware Cloud Community
proseti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Filtering by OS - two ways

Hi,

after few tests I noticed that:

$winVM = Get-Cluster "CL04-VCLOUD02" | Get-VM | Get-VMGuest | Where {$_.OSFullName -match "Windows"} | select -ExpandProperty VMName

filters only VMs with Windows with INSTALLED VMWARE TOOLS. If VM doesn't have intalled vmware tools it won't show up after above command.
I wrote something witch lists me all VMs with Windows OS, but I can't append them to DrsVMGroup.

$winVM = Get-Cluster "CL04-VCLOUD02" |

Get-VM | Sort-Object -Property Name |

Get-View -Property @("Name", "Config.GuestFullName") | Where {$_.Config.GuestFullName -match "Windows"} |

Select -Property Name

Set-DrsVMGroup -Name "grupawindows04" -Cluster "CL04-VCLOUD02" -VM $winVM -Append

I get error:

Set-DrsVMGroup : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'VM'. The "

## make sure that all values are either a String or a VM obj

_Test-TypeOrString -Object $_ -Type ([VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Types.V1.Inventory.VirtualMachine])

+ Set-DrsVMGroup -Name "grupawindows04" -Cluster "CL04-VCLOUD02" -VM $winVM -Appen ...

+                                                                    ~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Set-DrsVMGroup], ParameterBindingValidationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationError,Set-DrsVMGroup

How to do it good? I see that this command can't read and add VMs.
Any help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That is correct, the VMware Tools need to be installed to get the OS name that way.

You could filter on the OS the user specified when the VM was created.

But there is always a risk that the user installed an altogther different guest OS.

You could make that a bit simpler like this

Get-VM | Where {$_.ExtensionData.Config.GuestFullName -match "Windows"} |

Sort-Object -Property Name |

Select -ExpandProperty Name

Set-DrsVMGroup -Name "grupawindows04" -Cluster "CL04-VCLOUD02" -VM $winVM -Append

The VM parameter expects a string or a VirtualMachine object.

With the Select you're having neither.

You could do

Get-View -Property @("Name", "Config.GuestFullName") | Where {$_.Config.GuestFullName -match "Windows"}

or

Get-View -Property @("Name", "Config.GuestFullName") | Where {$_.Config.GuestFullName -match "Windows"} |

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That is correct, the VMware Tools need to be installed to get the OS name that way.

You could filter on the OS the user specified when the VM was created.

But there is always a risk that the user installed an altogther different guest OS.

You could make that a bit simpler like this

Get-VM | Where {$_.ExtensionData.Config.GuestFullName -match "Windows"} |

Sort-Object -Property Name |

The VM parameter expects a string or a VirtualMachine object.

With the Select you're having neither.

You could do

Get-View -Property @("Name", "Config.GuestFullName") | Where {$_.Config.GuestFullName -match "Windows"}

or

0 Kudos
proseti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK thanks. It's very helpfull.

Going further I have another problem...

$winVM = Get-Cluster "Cluster-Name" | Get-VM | Where {$_.ExtensionData.Config.GuestFullName -notmatch "vm-name (31246e2b-afb3-45342-92341-ea3b5c094128)"}

$winVMexcludeVm = Get-VM $winVM | Where {$_.ExtensionData.Config.GuestFullName -match "Windows"} | Sort-Object -Property Name |

$winVMexcludeVm > "C:\Files\test.csv

Name of VM is vm-name (31246e2b-afb3-45342-92341-ea3b5c094128). I want to list all windows OS VMs excluding this "vm-name (31246e2b-afb3-45342-92341-ea3b5c094128)", but every time in test.csv I see this VM... I dont know what I've been doing wrong. Quotas doesnt work well in script or should I use them in different way? Help plz

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Provided that Guid is unique, you could try something like this

Get-Cluster "Cluster-Name" | Get-VM | Where {$_.ExtensionData.Config.GuestFullName -notmatch "31246e2b-afb3-45342-92341-ea3b5c094128"} |

Where {$_.ExtensionData.Config.GuestFullName -match "Windows"} | Sort-Object -Property Name |

Select Name |

Export-Csv "C:\Files\test.csv" -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

0 Kudos
proseti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It shows me only length of characters in line in file .csv . Any other ideas ?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

oops, the ExpandProperty doesn't need to be in there.
I corrected above, try again

0 Kudos
proseti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ehhh, file .csv still contains VM which I dont want to see. Do you have any idea why ?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not really, give it a try with the -notlike operator.

Get-Cluster "Cluster-Name" | Get-VM | Where {$_.ExtensionData.Config.GuestFullName -notlike "*31246e2b-afb3-45342-92341-ea3b5c094128*"} |

Where {$_.ExtensionData.Config.GuestFullName -match "Windows"} | Sort-Object -Property Name |

Select Name |

Export-Csv "C:\Files\test.csv" -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

0 Kudos
proseti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Meeh, doesn't work :/... I think, I found some work-around. Add this excluded VM to some DrsVMGroup with rule which will not allow that VM to behave in accordance to that rule(DrsVMGroup) from I cant exclude it.

Sum up - I see that DrsVMGroup rule which hold VM on specific host, wont let this VM to auto-migrate to another host, if the second applied rule tell it to.

0 Kudos