VMware Cloud Community
vin01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Esxi Host Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.

Hi

I need to supply User  name and password while reconnecting Esxi host but with below lines I can't  succeed. Please help.

Set-VMHost -State Connected -VMHost 10.50.56.151,10.50.56.65,10.50.56.107,10.50.56.168 |Set-VMHostAuthentication -Username root -Password 'trustno1' -JoinDomain $false

Regards Vineeth.K
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vin01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks LucD., As far I tested that is the only way to connect back the vmhost to vcenter. I didn't find any cmdlet.

Regards Vineeth.K

View solution in original post

14 Replies
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To use the Set-VMHostAuthentication cmdlet you have to make a connection with the host using the Connect-VIServer cmdlet. Did you do that? For example:

Connect-VIServer 10.50.56.151

Set-VMHost -State Connected -VMHost 10.50.56.151 | Set-VMHostAuthentication -Username root -Password 'trustno1' -JoinDomain $false -Server 10.50.56.151

Disconnect-VIServer 10.50.56.151 -Confirm:$false

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition
0 Kudos
vin01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

But these hosts are already connected in vcenter. I just changed root password and changed the host state into disconnected mode.Now I need to connect the host with in the Vcenter by supplying new password.

Regards Vineeth.K
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Shouldn't you be doing a Get-VMHostAuthentication before you do a Set-VMHostAuthentiation ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
vin01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

not yet I will try now.

Regards Vineeth.K
0 Kudos
vin01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Tried like this but failed.

Is I am correct?

These servers are already disconnected in vcenter., I connected to Vcenter.

Set-VMHost -State Connected -VMHost 10.50.56.151,10.50.56.65,10.50.56.107,10.50.56.168 |Get-VMHostAuthentication |Set-VMHostAuthentication -Username root -Password 'trustno1' -JoinDomain $false

connect-viserver : 21-Dec-15 8:38:05 PM    Connect-VIServer        Could not

determine user name and/or password for server 10.50.56.168

At line:1 char:1

+ connect-viserver 10.50.56.151,10.50.56.65,

10.50.56.151,10.50.56.65,10.50.56.107 ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Connect-VIServer], ViServerCo

nnectionException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ViCore_Login_CredentialNotFound,VMware.VimAutoma

tion.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.ConnectVIServer

Regards Vineeth.K
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are mixing two things here.

The host connection state with the Set-VMHost and the host authentication mechanism with the Set-VMHostAuthentication.

The Set-VMHost cmdlet will output a VMhost object, the Set-VMHostAuthentication cmdlet expects a VMHostAuthentication object in the pipeline.

vin01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK., So How to connect the disconnected VMhost which is already in vcenter and root password is changed. Now I need to supply new password for root to connect back the vmhost in vcenter.

Regards Vineeth.K
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you change the root password on the ESXi node while it was disconnected ?

Then you would have to do an Add-VMHost, where you supply the new root password.

0 Kudos
vin01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

‌LucD., My senerio is like this..

1.For some Esxi hosts root passwd expired.

2.I Ssh to that host and changed root password &

3.I Disconnected the Esxi from vcenter which I changed root passwd

4.Now if I try to reconnect the esxi host from vcenter by right click connect then it will ask for credentials right... so is there any way to reconnect the esxi host which is already in vcenter through   Powercli by passing new password.

Could  Add-VMHost works if I try to add the host which is already in vcenter or should I remove the host and re add the host with Add-VMHost cmdlet.

Regards Vineeth.K
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Afaik, the vCenter uses the vpxuser account to connect to an ESXi host, not the root account.

It's only when you add a new ESXi host to a vCenter, that you need to give a root account.

When the vpxuser password expires (30 days by default) at the same moment, then you will have to an Add-VMHost afaik

vin01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

‌I totally agree with you. The thing you said work upuntil the host is in connected state.,But it will ask for credentials when ever you try to disconnect/reconnect the host or reboot the host by keeping in maintenance mode.

I Tested manually like changing the root password of host which is in vcenter and disconnected the host from vcenter and if I try to reconnect it throughs error as authentication failed.

Regards Vineeth.K
0 Kudos
vin01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If this is the senerio how to I reconncet the host from Powercli. I can able to reconnect the host manually by supplying root credintials.

reconnect.jpg

Regards Vineeth.K
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

At that point I suspect you can only do a Remove-VMHost followed by an Add-VMHost.

vin01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks LucD., As far I tested that is the only way to connect back the vmhost to vcenter. I didn't find any cmdlet.

Regards Vineeth.K