VMware Cloud Community
houghtp
Contributor
Contributor

Error when runing PowerCLI from .Net application

Hi,

I have a .Net app which runs some PowerCLI scripts. I've recently had to rebuild my PC an LAB environment and now certain comands are throwing an error.

The error is : "Could not retrieve handler field info from the HttpClient .net type."

It only seems to happen with cetain cmdlets such as:

Start-VM

Stop-VM

Set-VM

New-VM

Which are the cmdlets which conflict with the Hyper-V module. I haven't installed the Hyper-V module and doing a (get-module -ListAvailable).path doesn't tell me its installed.

I'm using the latest version of PowerCLI , but have also tried installing older versions

My $psversiontable is:

Name                           Value

----                           -----

PSVersion                      5.1.18362.1110

PSEdition                      Desktop

PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}

BuildVersion                   10.0.18362.1110

CLRVersion                     4.0.30319.42000

WSManStackVersion              3.0

PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.3

SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1

Versions of .Net installed

>=4.x        : 4.8 or later

v4\Client    : Installed

v4\Full      : Installed

v3.5         : Installed

v3.0         : Installed

v2.0.50727   : Installed

v1.1.4322    : Not installed (no key)

I'm using vSphere 6.7

This only happens when running the scripts from my .Net app and was all working fine before I had to recreate my environment.

If i run the scripts from within PowerShell they run with no issue, which I know points to somekind of conflict with my app and not a PowerCli issus but im a bit lost as to know where to go next , so hoping someone can shed some light. Searching for the error online doesn't throw up anything.

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Did you check your .NET app build that it doesn't include any Hyper-V related DLLs?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
houghtp
Contributor
Contributor

Yes i've checked that.

One thing i didn't mention is the commands do actual work, however they throw the error after completing..

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I would guess that logging and tracing the app might shed some light on what happens.

But I'm afraid that I'm not a .NET developer who can help you with setting that up Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
houghtp
Contributor
Contributor

No problem thanks.

one thing you might be able to help with..

I'm working on a work around for the time being. I can get around the issue with start-vm, stop-vm etc by filteirng the error.

However, when using New-VM with the following code

$vmDeployTask = New-VM -Template $vmWareTemplate -VMHost $vmHost -Name $vmName -Datastore $vmwareDatastore -OSCustomizationSpec $osCustSpec -RunAsync

i can't track the deployment because $vmDeployTask just contains the error.

Is there a way to use Get-Task and search for the name of the deployed target VM name? So something like.. (Where "NewVM" is the name of the deployed VM)

Get-Task | ?{$_.description -contains "NewVM"}

I've tried looking the properties of a CloneVM_task but can't find anything which containts the name of the new VM?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

One way is to use the Get-VIEvent cmdlet and look for the VMBeingClonedEvent and the VMClonedEvent.

That would allow you to determine when the clone is completed.

Another option is to look, again with Get-VIEvent, for a TaskEvent.
Under the Info property of that event, you will find information about the progress and the result of the Task.

0 Kudos