VMware Cloud Community
evilensky1
Contributor
Contributor

Error using `adminstrator@vsphere.local` with Get-Tag

Greetings, I am seeing the following error when trying to work with Tags and PowerCLI.  The error is the same whether I use my own domain account (AD) or the vsphere.local administrator.

get-tag -Server 'vcenterprd01a'

get-tag : 11/4/2019 9:30:38 AM  Get-Tag         Server vcenterprd01a is not connected.

At line:1 char:1

+ get-tag -Server 'vcenterprd01a.'

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-Tag], ViServerConnectionException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_ConnectivityServiceImpl_TryVerifyIsConnected_NotConnected,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Tagging.GetTag

get-tag : 11/4/2019 9:30:38 AM  Get-Tag         vSphere single sign-on failed for connection 'https://vssoprd01a.:7444/sts/STSService/vsphere.local'. Future operations which require single sign-on

on this connection will fail. The underlying cause was: There was no endpoint listening at https://vssoprd01a.:7444/sts/STSService/vsphere.local that could accept the message. This is often

caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details.

+ get-tag -Server 'vcenterprd01a.'

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-Tag], CisException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Impl.V1.Service.Tagging.Cis.TaggingServiceCisImpl.GetTag.Error,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Tagging.GetTag

The port in the error, 7444, is not mentioned anywhere in `ports.vmware.com` firewall port guide.  Where might I look to see where in my environment this port may be configured/misconfigured ?

Thank you,

Tags (1)
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

The error seems to suggest that you don't have a connection open to that VCSA.
Can you check if it is listed in $global:defaultviservers?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
evilensky1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

get-tag -Server vcenterprd01a.suffix.domain

get-tag : 12/12/2019 1:06:59 PM Get-Tag         vSphere single sign-on failed for connection

'/VIServer=DOMAIN\USER@vcenterprd01a.suffix.domain:443/' during a previous operation. The current operation requires

such single sign-on and therefore failed. Future operations which require single sign-on on this connection will fail.

The underlying cause was available in the error message which initially reported the single sign-on failure.

+ get-tag -Server vcenterprd01a.suffix.domain

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Impl.V1.Service.Tagging.Cis.TaggingServiceCisImpl.GetTag.Err

or,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Tagging.GetTag

$global:DefaultVIServer

Name                           Port  User

----                           ----  ----

vcenterprd01a.suffix.domain   443   DOMAIN\USER

Name                           Port  User

centerprd01a.suffomain   443   DOMAIN\USER

Weird, all other common cmdlets work fine.

Here is an attempt after disconnecting from all vcenter servers and connecting to a single vcenter server:

$Connection = Connect-VIServer -Server vcenterprd01a.suffix.domain -Credential $Credential

get-tag

get-tag : 12/12/2019 1:11:41 PM Get-Tag         vSphere single sign-on failed for connection

'https://vssoprd01a.suffix.domain:7444/sts/STSService/vsphere.local'. Future operations which require single sign-on

on this connection will fail. The underlying cause was: There was no endpoint listening at

https://vssoprd01a.suffix.domain:7444/sts/STSService/vsphere.local that could accept the message. This is often

caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details.

+ get-tag

+ ~~~~~~~

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Impl.V1.Service.Tagging.Cis.TaggingServiceCisImpl.GetTag.Err

or,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Tagging.GetTag

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You're definitely not the only one seeing this.

See for example Unstable Retrieval of Tag Assignments Introduced In 6.5?

Like in that, and other threads on the same subject, I suggest to open a SR.

Which vCenter version are you using?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference