VMware Cloud Community
JustinL3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error launching PowerCLI - Win7 64-bit

Hello All,

I'm running Win7 64-bit. I've installed most recent versions of PowerCLI and VITools. When launching, it get the following.

WARNING: The following errors occurred when loading console C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI\vim.psc1: Cannot load Windows PowerShell snap-in VMware.VimAutomation.Core because of the following error: Could not load type 'VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Vim4PSSnapIn' from assembly 'VMware.VimAutomation, Version=1.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'. Command '. "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI\Script s\Initialize-VIToolkitEnvironment.ps1"' could not be executed because some Windo ws PowerShell snap-ins did not load.

When trying to add VMWare.VimAutomation.Core, I get the following.

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI> add-pssnapin V MWare.VimAutomation.Core Add-PSSnapin : Cannot load Windows PowerShell snap-in VMWare.VimAutomation.Core because of the following error: Could not load type 'VMware.VimAutomation.ViCo re.Cmdlets.Vim4PSSnapIn' from assembly 'VMware.VimAutomation, Version=1.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'. At line:1 char:13 + add-pssnapin <<<< VMWare.VimAutomation.Core + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (VMWare.VimAutomation.Core:Stri ng) [Add-PSSnapin], PSSnapInException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : AddPSSnapInRead,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.Ad dPSSnapinCommand

Has anyone run into this and/or have ideas to resolve?

Thankyou.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What do you mean with "...PowerCLI and VITools..." ?

You should only install PowerCLI 4.1.

Blog: LucD notes

Twitter: lucd22

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What do you mean with "...PowerCLI and VITools..." ?

You should only install PowerCLI 4.1.

0 Kudos
JustinL3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LucD,

I installed PowerCLI 4.1 and VMWare Infrastructure Toolkit 1.5. Can they not both be installed on the same box?

Thanks,

Justin

0 Kudos
JustinL3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you LucD.

I removed the VI Toolkit and it's working.

Justin L

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It can be confusing, but they changed the name "VI Toolkit" into "PowerCLI" from release 4 onwards.

In fact after VI Tooklkit 1.5 we got PowerCLI 4, this to keep the numbering in line with the vSphere family.

0 Kudos