VMware Cloud Community
tanishsr
Contributor
Contributor

Error in Connect-VIServer

Hi,

While executing the connect-viserver I am getting following error :

"Connect-VIServer : Could not load file or assembly 'VMware.VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor, Version=1.5.0.0, Cult

ure=neutral, PublicKeyToken=10980b081e887e9f' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. "

Can anyone help me with this issue.

-reagrds,

Tanish S.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

It looks as if something is wrong with one or more of the .Net assemblies for VITK.

Did you try an uninstall/install of the VITK ?

Any errors during the installation ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
tanishsr
Contributor
Contributor

No error reported while installing VITK.

The OS details : Win XP SP3 and logged in as Administrator.

Not able to figure out what's the problem.

-Tanish S.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I haven't tried VITK on XP SP3 yet.

Did you just do an unistall and re-install of the VITK ?

From where are you entering the Connect-VIServer cmdlet ? From the VITK prompt, PowerGui, PS prompt...

Does this return the VITK snapin (VMware.VimAutomation.Core)

Get-PSSnapin

0 Kudos
tanishsr
Contributor
Contributor

I had tried uninstalling - installing VITK, but the problem still remains.

I had started the PS prompt and then typed : "Add-PSSnapin Vmware.VimAutomation.Core"

I tried the command : Get-PSSnapin and the output of that command :

Name : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core
PSVersion : 2.0
Description : This Windows PowerShell snap-in contains Windows PowerShell management cmdlets used to manage components
of Windows PowerShell.
Name : Microsoft.PowerShell.Host
Description : This Windows PowerShell snap-in contains cmdlets used by the Windows PowerShell host.
Name : Microsoft.PowerShell.Management
Description : This Windows PowerShell snap-in contains management cmdlets used to manage Windows components.
Name : Microsoft.PowerShell.Security
Description : This Windows PowerShell snap-in contains cmdlets to manage Windows PowerShell security.
Name : Microsoft.PowerShell.Utility
Description : This Windows PowerShell snap-in contains utility Cmdlets used to manipulate data.
Name : VMware.VimAutomation.core
Description : This Windows PowerShell snap-in contains Windows PowerShell cmdlets used to manage VMware Infrastructure.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry, I don't have any further suggestions.

I see you found .

Did you run the stack trace Yasen suggested ?

0 Kudos
tanishsr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I tried that too, but while trying to execute Innerexception.GetType and StackTrace, following outout came:

PS > $error[0].Exception.InnerType.GetType()

You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.

At line:1 char:38

+ $error[0].Exception.InnerType.GetType <<<< ()

PS > $error[0].Exception.InnerException.StackTrace

0 Kudos
ggochkov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If VMWare VIX is presented in the Add/Remove programs then - try to uninstall VMWare VIX, and then reinstall the VI toolkit.

Otherwise go to "c:\program files\vmware vix" and manually delete it and then reinstall the VI toolkit

Hope it will help...

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

That would mean there is no inner exception happening.

Can you just do

$error

This will show all errors.

tanishsr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I had uninstalled VMware VIX , but while installing VITK , installer download and installs VMware VIX. After reinstalling the problem continues.

0 Kudos
tanishsr
Contributor
Contributor

I tried it but same error while executing Connect-VIserver.

PS > $error
Connect-VIServer : Could not load file or assembly 'VMware.VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor, Version=1.5.0.0, Cult
* ure=neutral, PublicKeyToken=10980b081e887e9f' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.*
* At line:1 char:17*
* + Connect-VIServer <<<< -Server SERVERIP -Protocol https -User "USERNAME" -Password "PASSWORD"*

Hope , this may help.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Not really Smiley Sad

Perhaps this shows more info

$error[0] | select *

tanishsr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Here is the output of $error[0] | select *

*PS > $error[0] | select **

Exception : System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'VMware.VimAutomation.Logging.

• SoapInterceptor, Version=1.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=10980b081e887e9f' or one of i*

• ts dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.*

• File name: 'VMware.VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor, Version=1.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, Pub*

• licKeyToken=10980b081e887e9f'*

• at VMware.VimAutomation.Commands.ConnectVIServer.ProcessRecord()*

• at System.Management.Automation.Cmdlet.DoProcessRecord()*

• at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()*

• === Pre-bind state information ===*

• LOG: User = TANISH*

• LOG: DisplayName = VMware.VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor, Version=1.5.0.0, Culture=neutr*

• al, PublicKeyToken=10980b081e887e9f*

• (Fully-specified)*

• LOG: Appbase = file:///[SYSTEM32]/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/*

• LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL*

• Calling assembly : VMware.VimAutomation, Version=1.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.*

• ===*

• LOG: This bind starts in LoadFrom load context.*

• WRN: Native image will not be probed in LoadFrom context. Native image will only be probed in d*

• efault load context, like with Assembly.Load().*

• LOG: Using application configuration file: \WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershel*

• l.config*

• LOG: Using machine configuration file from \Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\config*

• \machine.config.*

• LOG: Post-policy reference: VMware.VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor, Version=1.5.0.0, Cult*

• ure=neutral, PublicKeyToken=10980b081e887e9f*

• LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///[SYSTEM32]/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/VMware.V*

• imAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor.DLL.*

• LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///[SYSTEM32]/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0/VMware.V*

• imAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor/VMware.VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor.DLL.*

• imAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor.EXE.*

• imAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor/VMware.VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor.EXE.*

• LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/VMware/Infrastructure/VIToolkitForWindows/VMware*

• .VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor.DLL.*

• LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///D:/VMware/Infrastructure/VIToolkitForWindows/VMware*

• .VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor/VMware.VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor.DLL.*

• .VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor.EXE.*

• .VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor/VMware.VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor.EXE.*

TargetObject :

CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (Smiley Happy , FileNotFoundException

FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IO.FileNotFoundException,VMware.VimAutomation.Commands.ConnectVIServer

ErrorDetails :

InvocationInfo : System.Management.Automation.InvocationInfo

I explored my system but i couldn't find "VMware.VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor.EXE or VMware.VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor.DLL" . ?:|

0 Kudos
tanishsr
Contributor
Contributor

After detailed investigation and keeping my patience !http://communities.vmware.com/images/emoticons/cool.gif!, I had figured out the most probable cause for the problem.

"VMware.VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor.dll " file was missing from the location " WINDOWS\Assembly\GAC_MSIL\Vmware.VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor\" .

So, I copied that file from my other system and It WORKED. :smileygrin: . I Didnt Install VITK again, same old installation.

Thanks A Lot LucD.

-regards,

Tanish S.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

It would perhaps be interesting to try to find out why the file SoapInterceptor.dll was missing.

Could you do a new install of the VITK 1.5 but with the following command

VMware-Vim4PS-1.5.0-142961.exe /v"/l*v c:\vitk.log"

In the vitk.log you can do a find on SoapInterceptor and perhaps we will see why the file copy fails.

0 Kudos
tanishsr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I downloaded the latest installer ( VITK ver 1.5) and tried installation with that. But this time no issue in copying the SoapInterceptor file. I am not able to find the issues previously. I will try again installing the VITK , if any problem encounter then I will let you know.

-regards,

Tanish

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Do you still have the previous VITK 1.5 installer ?

Was it perhaps a different build then 142961 ?

0 Kudos
tanishsr
Contributor
Contributor

When I downloaded the new installer, the old installer was replaced. The build number for the installer is : 142961

0 Kudos
cchilderhose528
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had this problem too on Windows 10 Insider Build 15025 with PowerCLI 6.5 Release 1.  To fix it I did the following -

1. Uninstalled PowerCLI

2. Cleaned up any leftovers from the application

3. Checked this directory - C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly --> there are subfolders in here and in my case the folder GAC_MSIL had some old VMware PowerCLI references so I deleted them all - any with VMware or starting with VIM (be sure to check the files as to not remove anything important)

4. Once removed I installed PowerCLI again

5. Did a search for the DLL file in question - VMware.VimAutomation.Logging.SoapInterceptor.dll and only found one in the application directory

6. Tested Connect-VIServer and now it works :smileycool:

Also another note I was getting errors when PowerCLI would load the Storage modules but now I don't any more after removing those old references.

Hope this helps to fix the issue.

0 Kudos