VMware Cloud Community
mleo963
Contributor
Contributor

Editing "Notes" section

I would like to update the "Notes" section with host owner information, pulled from a cvs file (data is really in a mysql database, but i think it would be easier via a cvs..)

Can I use powercli to read the cvs file for a hostname, connect to VC and populate that info into the "Notes" field?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Afaik only guests have a Notes section, for ESX(i) hosts you can only define a custom attribute.

Try this

Connect-VIServer -server $vc

New-CustomAttribute -Name "Owner" -TargetType "VMHost"
Import-Csv "C:\owner-info.csv" | %{
	Set-Annotation -Entity (Get-VMHost -Name $_.Hostname) -CustomAttribute "Owner" -Value $_.HostOwner
}

It assumes you have a CSV file like this

Hostname,HostOwner
esx1,user1
esx2,user2

Blog: LucD notes

Twitter: lucd22

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
mleo963
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, sometimes it gets confusing between "host", "guest", etc.

I have a cvs file with a hostname (dns name) of my running VMWare Guests machines, and the owners name.

I would like to script something that looks at the file, and updates the "Notes" section of each guests in my VC and include the owners name.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

0 Kudos
mleo963
Contributor
Contributor

A modification of the "who created that VM?" script http://www.virtu-al.net/2010/02/23/who-created-that-vm/ might do it, I'm just not that good...but I'm trying!

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Ok, got it.

Try this (the CSV file has the same layout)

New-CustomAttribute -Name "Owner" -TargetType "VirtualMachine" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
Import-Csv "C:\owner-info.csv" | %{
Set-CustomField -Name "Owner" -Value $_.HostOwner -Entity (Get-VM -Name $_.Hostname)
}

I assume that the hostname in the CSV file corresponds with the name of the guest ?

The first line creates the new custom attribute.

If it already exists, the -ErrorAction parameter will suppress the error message and the script will continu.

Blog: LucD notes

Twitter: lucd22

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

mleo963
Contributor
Contributor

Perfect!

I am building a new CVS file now but my initial test was a huge success!

grazie!

0 Kudos
mleo963
Contributor
Contributor

wicked!

0 Kudos