VMware Cloud Community
habs3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXTOP and Get-esxtop

Hi All

I am trying to use get-esxtop to gather numofdroppedsend and numofdroppedrecv stat and i am using

get-esxtop -countername netport | where {$_.clientname -eq "vm"} | select *

it returns the data but has a number of 1952 for numofdropedrecv

when i look at esxtop on the same server for the same vm it shows 0 for $drptx and %drprx

i was wondering why and if i am gathering the data from the wrong counter.

Any help would be great

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The values you get returned by Get-EsxTop are mostly cumulative, meaning you will have to calculate the delta between 2 consecutive measurements, to get the actual value for the past 5 second interval.

You find more info in my Hitchhiker’s Guide to Get-EsxTop – Part 1 post.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The values you get returned by Get-EsxTop are mostly cumulative, meaning you will have to calculate the delta between 2 consecutive measurements, to get the actual value for the past 5 second interval.

You find more info in my Hitchhiker’s Guide to Get-EsxTop – Part 1 post.

0 Kudos
habs3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

LucD

Thank you for the response. I was wondering. if I get a value back from Get-esxtop but none from esxtop on the host. Where is get-esxtop getting the data from and how long is that data there for?

We are having issues in our environment and I am looking to monitor dropped packets and log it so if the issues we are having pops up again I can see if there are dropped packets I will be able to send that data to our network team for analysis based on routes and what is see in the switch.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In esxtop you see the deltas between 2 consecutive measurements, in Get-EsxTop you have to do delta calculation yourself.

Both use the same values to start with.

I created a function which will give you the deltas, see Hitchhiker’s Guide to Get-EsxTop – Part 2 – The wrapper

0 Kudos