VMware Cloud Community
KRAEMS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Different versions of PowerCLI producing a different result for the same commands

Hi Everyone,

Relatively new to PowerCLI.  I am finding that executing the same commands against the same vCenter in different versions of PowerCLI is yielding drastically different results.  Here are the (sanitized) commands I am running:

Connect-VIServer our.vcenter.com -User our_domain\our_user -Password our_password

get-vm

our_user is permissioned to have access to a block of 34 VMs.  In PowerCLI 5.5 Release 2 Patch 1, the list of 34 VMs is returned.  In PowerCLI 6.5 Release 1 (build 4624819) there is nothing returned.  When I run the same commands above in PowerCLI 6.5 Release 1 (build 4624819) while logging in as an admin user, the entire set of VMs is returned as expected, including the block of 34 that fail to return in PowerCLI 6.5 Release 1 (build 4624819), but do return in PowerCLI 5.5 Release 2 Patch 1 with the desired user. 

Any suggestions on what I need to do to get the set to return in PowerCLI 6.5 Release 1 (build 4624819)?  vCenter version is vCenter Server 6.5 Update 1e

Thanks,

KRAEMS

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Is there a specific need to stick with the older 6.5R1?

I would be curious to know if PowerCLI 10 shows the same behaviour in your environment.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
KRAEMS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

...having uninstalled PowerCLI 6.5 Release 1 and installing PowerCLI 10, I find that PowerCLI 10 returns the subset of VMs permissioned for the user with which we are connecting to vCenter with (the desired result).  Thanks for pointing me in this direction. 

KRAEMS

0 Kudos