VMware Cloud Community
bmccool
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Device 'scsi0:0' already exists error when changing Disk Persistence via PowerCLI

I'm getting the error "Device 'scsi0:0' already exists" when changing the disk persistence on some VMs via PowerCLI.  However, this command does work on other VMs.  Is there a known issue with changing this setting on a certain subset of VMs?

I'm running ESXi 5.5 and most VMs are at HW Version 7 or 8.  I have received the error on both RHEL and Windows machines, but it has also worked on both RHEL and Windows machines.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

And were the vDisks all of the same type, on the same datastore... ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
bmccool
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The disks on these 2 servers in particular were both Thin provisioned.  They are on different datastores (actually in different vCenters) but they use the same type of storage on the backend.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Have a look at Changing disk persistence

I would advise to open a SR

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
bmccool
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had seen that, but since it does work on some VMs I know it's available.  I do have a case open, I'm currently trying to get them to understand it's most likely not a PowerCLI issue since it does work on some VMs and more a configuration issue on certain VMs I just haven't been able to nail down that config issue.

Thanks!

0 Kudos