VMware Cloud Community
wongiantleap
Contributor
Contributor

Deployment script stopped working...

Hi,

I've been using the excellent script from  http://blog.smasterson.com/2014/05/21/deploying-multiple-vms-via-powercli-updated-v1-2/ successfully for a while now.

Recently though it started throwing errors:

Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping : 12/11/2015 10:12:21    Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping       
Required property ip is missing from data object of type CustomizationIPSettings
while parsing serialized DataObject of type vim.vm.customization.IPSettings
At C:\PSH-Scripts\VMWare\DeployFromCSV2\DeployVM.ps1:346 char:54
+             $tempSpec | Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping | Set-OSCustomizationNicMappi ...
+                                                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping], InvalidRequest
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_VMGuestServiceImpl_ModifyServersideSpec_ViError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.SetOSCustomizationNicMapping

The offending code:

$spec = Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name $VM.CustSpec
         $tempSpec = $spec | New-OSCustomizationSpec -Name temp$vmName
         $tempSpec | Get-OSCustomizationNicMapping | Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping `
         -IpMode UseStaticIP -IpAddress $VM.IPAddress -SubnetMask $VM.SubnetMask `
         -Dns $VM.pDNS,$VM.sDNS -DefaultGateway $VM.Gateway | Out-Null

All the $VM properties are present and correct. The only thing I can think of is we recently upgraded to 5.5 from 5.1 but I can't find anything deprecated etc

3 Replies
bradley4681
Expert
Expert

I've been running into this issue as well. I've found several scripts online for deploying multiple VMs but everyone of them seems to not work for setting the IP and has a similar error.

running 5.5 vCenter and hosts and this script Deploying multiple VMs via PowerCLI – Updated v1.2 | Shawn Masterson's Blog

11/19/2015 4:19:34 PM    Set-OSCustomizationNicMapping       

Required property ip is missing from data object of type CustomizationIPSettings

while parsing serialized DataObject of type vim.vm.customization.IPSettings

at line 1, column 1637

while parsing property "adapter" of static type CustomizationIPSettings

while parsing serialized DataObject of type vim.vm.customization.AdapterMapping

at line 1, column 1622

while parsing property "nicSettingMap" of static type ArrayOfCustomizationAdapterMapping

while parsing serialized DataObject of type vim.vm.customization.Specification

at line 1, column 570

while parsing property "spec" of static type CustomizationSpec

while parsing serialized DataObject of type vim.CustomizationSpecItem

at line 1, column 335

while parsing call information for method OverwriteCustomizationSpec

at line 1, column 218

while parsing SOAP body

at line 1, column 207

while parsing SOAP envelope

at line 1, column 38

while parsing HTTP request for method overwrite

on object of type vim.CustomizationSpecManager

at line 1, column 0

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Which PowerCLI version (do a Get-PowerCLIVersion) are both of you running ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

bradley4681
Expert
Expert

So I figured out that the script does not work using PowerCLI 6.0, when I went back to a system running PowerCLI 5.5 Release 2 Patch 1 build 1931983, the script ran fine.

On a side note, someone has created a newer version of this script that allows deploying more them one VM at a time instead of waiting for the first to finish. The only issue is I do not see a way to limit the concurrent amount of VMs being deployed at a time. I learned that lesson after 50 kicked off from a single template source.

https://github.com/Vidanez/DeployVMs

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos