VMware Cloud Community
AticusDoc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Deploy VM from template using CloneVM_Task

I am trying to create a script that will deploy a VM from a template using the CloneVM_Task customization. Eventually I want to be able to deploy dozens of VMs from one template very quickly but first I am trying this out on one VM. I just can't seem to get it working. I used a script from http://communities.vmware.com/message/1064716#1064716 and http://communities.vmware.com/message/1000953#1000953

After I run the script in PowerCLI I view the progress in vSphere Client. The VM is created and the Clone Virtual Machine task gets to 93% at which time the task viewer says it is "Customizing the new Virtual Machine." That's about when the vCenter server crashes and when it comes back up again I can see in the task viewer that the Clone Virtual Machine task failed with an "Error."

I attached the script I am using below, any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RS_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found !!!!!!!!!!!

removing VMware.Vim.CustomizationGuiRunOnce object and it works :

#$vmcSpec.Customization.Identity.guiRunOnce = New-Object VMware.Vim.CustomizationGuiRunOnce

#$vmcSpec.Customization.Identity.guiRunOnce.commandList = $RunOnce

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
DougBaer
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

When I see an error like this, it is generally related to the OS Customization spec, or not having the appropriate sysprep tools installed on the vCenter server.

As a test, can you deploy VMs via your script without customizing the OS? That will at least narrow the problem. I like to use New-VM with the Template option...

new-vm -template `
(get-template "My-Template") `
-name "Name-of-new-VM" `
-host (get-vmhost name-of-target-host) `
-location (get-folder –name "My Folder") `
-pool (get-resourcepool "My Resource Pool") `
-Datastore (get-datastore "My-Datastore-1")

Doug Baer, Solution Architect, Advanced Services, Broadcom | VCDX #019, vExpert 2012-23
AticusDoc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay I tried deploying without customization using new-vm and things worked fine. I don't think that there is a sysprep issue because I can customize VMs when I deploy using a customization specification through the vSphere Client GUI. Thanks for your help, it sounds like this is an issue with the syntax of the customization in my script. I'm not sure what is wrong, because other people seem to use this script with no problems.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do you have the sysprep binaries copied to your Virtual Center server ?

And are they the correct version ?

See Appendix B in vSphere Basic System Administration for further info.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
DougBaer
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

That's a helpful error message 😆

So, your vCenter server actually goes down??

I'm with Luc... check your sysprep utilities. Can you deploy and customize the same VM template using similar custom spec settings via the GUI w/o VC going down?

Doug Baer, Solution Architect, Advanced Services, Broadcom | VCDX #019, vExpert 2012-23
0 Kudos
AticusDoc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upon close inspection, the vCenter services go down, not the server itself. During the customization of the new VM, the processor and memory utilization on the vCenter server peak before the vCenter services stop. Several minutes later they start up again, so it looks like vCenter is crashing and not the server itself.

I have the latest version of the deploy.cab files on vCenter server in the sysprep folder. I can deploy from this same template using similar configuration using the GUI with no problems.

I keep thinking maybe there is one thing wrong in the script causing this problem that I need to change, but I'm not an expert in powershell.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Checked the script you are using and there is one error in there around line 38.

This

#setup resource pool
$pool = get-resourcepool -id $vmpool

should be

#setup resource pool
$pool = get-resourcepool $vmpool

I'm not sure why you get no error message on this.

From where are you running the script ?

Could it be that you have ErrorAction set to silentlycontinue ?

In any case, when I corrected that line the script ran without a problem (and the template was cloned).

0 Kudos
AticusDoc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I changed this part of the script and vCenter still crashes. I have even tried another similar script from RobMokkink http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-6972 and I have the same problem. I am using PowerCLI 4.0 and vSphere 4.0, not sure if there are incompatibility issues with the version used to create the scripts if they are different.

I wonder if this has something to do with the configuration of vCenter. Was something missed when it was installed and set up? I also noticed that the vCenter Server only has 2GB of RAM while VMware recommends 3GB of RAM. And the database is running on the server. Could this be the problem? I can deploy virtual machines from templates using the vSphere Client, I can deploy virtual machines using a script pointing to a customization specification, I just can't deploy from a script where I specify the customization variables in the script.

0 Kudos
AticusDoc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was looking through the log just before vCenter crashed and found this error labeled "panic." A couple seconds later the log ends and the server crashes. Could this be the problem?

2009-07-08 14:03:16.023 05616 verbose 'App'] Setting param LicenseFilePrintData.AutoMode to value perSeat

2009-07-08 14:03:16.023 05616 verbose 'App'] Added nic setting cmd guestcustutil.exe setupNic -m 00:50:56:80:58:2c -s 100.0.0.1 -su 100.0.0.2 -g 100.0.0.3 -gm 1 -d 100.0.0.4 -t 0

2009-07-08 14:03:16.023 05616 info 'App'] Successfully created directory C:\Windows\TEMP\imc-10

2009-07-08 14:03:16.023 05616 verbose 'App'] Sysprep output dir: C:/Windows/TEMP/imc-10, verify unattended: true

2009-07-08 14:03:16.054 04784 verbose 'App'] Invoke done: vmodl.query.PropertyCollector.waitForUpdates session: 7A6D3A2C-C1B4-4B02-866C-C3854C376E03

2009-07-08 14:03:16.054 05616 error 'App'] Win32 invalid_parameter: expression=(null), function=(null), file=(null), line=0

2009-07-08 14:03:16.070 04784 verbose 'SoapAdapter.HTTPService'] HTTP Response: Complete (processed 71331 bytes)

2009-07-08 14:03:16.132 05616 error 'App']

Panic: Win32 invalid_parameter error

Backtrace:

backtrace00] eip 0x01fe88f0 ?AbortProcess@System@Vmacore@@YAXXZ

backtrace01] eip 0x01fe9077 ?CreateBacktrace@SystemFactoryImpl@System@Vmacore@@UAEXAAV?$Ref@VBacktrace@System@Vmacore@@@3@@Z

backtrace02] eip 0x01f2b863 ?PanicExit@Vmacore@@YAXABV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@Z

backtrace03] eip 0x01ff8a70 ?GetThisThread@System@Vmacore@@YAPAVThread@12@XZ

backtrace04] eip 0x73c48aa0 invalidparameter_noinfo

backtrace05] eip 0x6d839faf ?NonLonghornFlush@SysprepConfigGenerator@GuestCust@@AAEXABV?$basic_path@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@Upath_traits@filesystem@boost@@@filesystem@boost@@_NABV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@AAV?$list@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@V?$allocator@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@2@@7@1@Z

backtrace06] eip 0x6d83ac23 ?Flush@SysprepConfigGenerator@GuestCust@@QAEXABV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@_N0AAV?$list@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@V?$allocator@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@2@@4@1@Z

backtrace07] eip 0x005eac40 (no symbol)

backtrace08] eip 0x005ef182 (no symbol)

backtrace09] eip 0x00b69e9c (no symbol)

backtrace10] eip 0x00b6baac (no symbol)

backtrace11] eip 0x00b6bd40 (no symbol)

backtrace12] eip 0x00b16be5 (no symbol)

backtrace13] eip 0x00b18220 (no symbol)

backtrace14] eip 0x0076678f (no symbol)

backtrace15] eip 0x02393e53 ??4ScheduledTaskManager@Scheduler@Vim@@QAEAAV012@ABV012@@Z

backtrace16] eip 0x021937ab ?AddFat@Activation@Vmomi@@QAEXPAVObject@Vmacore@@@Z

backtrace17] eip 0x02193782 ?AddFat@Activation@Vmomi@@QAEXPAVObject@Vmacore@@@Z

backtrace18] eip 0x0082b583 (no symbol)

backtrace19] eip 0x0080bbd9 (no symbol)

backtrace20] eip 0x00814777 (no symbol)

backtrace21] eip 0x00821c31 (no symbol)

backtrace22] eip 0x00d1f758 (no symbol)

backtrace23] eip 0x777c4911 BaseThreadInitThunk

backtrace24] eip 0x77bbe4b6 RtlInitializeExceptionChain

backtrace25] eip 0x77bbe489 RtlInitializeExceptionChain

2009-07-08 14:03:16.460 03528 verbose 'App'-- Entity has been relocated: vm-401

2009-07-08 14:03:16.569 04784 verbose 'SoapAdapter.HTTPService'-- User agent is 'Jakarta Commons-HttpClient/3.1'

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I think you better open a call with VMware for this problem.

It's way beyond what I have ever seen.

0 Kudos
RS_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, i got exactly the same issue since i updated the vcenter server from 2.5 U4 to 4.0

Since the update, i was using the RobMokkin's script almost every day !

The vcenter service crash during the customization guest too :

-- FINISH task-internal-64967 -- host-1006 -- VpxdInvtHostSyncHostLRO.Synchronize --

hostVersion = 3.5.0, tools version = 7302

hostVersion = 3.5.0, tools version = 7302

Sysprep options: -quiet -mini -reseal -reboot

Successfully created file C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imcEB.tmp

Successfully created directory C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc-2

Win32 invalid_parameter: expression=(null), function=(null), file=(null), line=0

Panic: Win32 invalid_parameter error

Backtrace:

backtrace[00] eip 0x019e88f0 ?AbortProcess@System@Vmacore@@YAXXZ

backtrace[01] eip 0x019e9077 ?CreateBacktrace@SystemFactoryImpl@System@Vmacore@@UAEXAAV?$Ref@VBacktrace@System@Vmacore@@@3@@Z

backtrace[02] eip 0x0192b863 ?PanicExit@Vmacore@@YAXABV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@Z

backtrace[03] eip 0x019f8a70 ?GetThisThread@System@Vmacore@@YAPAVThread@12@XZ

backtrace[04] eip 0x78138aa0 invalidparameter_noinfo

backtrace[05] eip 0x10019faf ?NonLonghornFlush@SysprepConfigGenerator@GuestCust@@AAEXABV?$basic_path@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@Upath_traits@filesystem@boost@@@filesystem@boost@@_NABV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@AAV?$list@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@V?$allocator@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@2@@7@1@Z

backtrace[06] eip 0x1001ac23 ?Flush@SysprepConfigGenerator@GuestCust@@QAEXABV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@_N0AAV?$list@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@V?$allocator@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@2@@4@1@Z

backtrace[07] eip 0x005eac40 (no symbol)

backtrace[08] eip 0x005ef182 (no symbol)

backtrace[09] eip 0x00b69e9c (no symbol)

backtrace[10] eip 0x00b6baac (no symbol)

backtrace[11] eip 0x00b6bd40 (no symbol)

backtrace[12] eip 0x00b16be5 (no symbol)

backtrace[13] eip 0x00b18220 (no symbol)

backtrace[14] eip 0x0076678f (no symbol)

backtrace[15] eip 0x01d93e53 ??4ScheduledTaskManager@Scheduler@Vim@@QAEAAV012@ABV012@@Z

backtrace[16] eip 0x01b937ab ?AddFat@Activation@Vmomi@@QAEXPAVObject@Vmacore@@@Z

backtrace[17] eip 0x01b93782 ?AddFat@Activation@Vmomi@@QAEXPAVObject@Vmacore@@@Z

backtrace[18] eip 0x0082b583 (no symbol)

backtrace[19] eip 0x0080bbd9 (no symbol)

backtrace[20] eip 0x00814777 (no symbol)

backtrace[21] eip 0x00821c31 (no symbol)

backtrace[22] eip 0x00d1f758 (no symbol)

backtrace[23] eip 0x7c826063 GetModuleFileNameA

CoreDump: Writing minidump

LucD, you're our only hope -in the galaxy Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
RS_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just see a difference betwen the vcenter 2.5 and 4.0 customSpec export :

<_type>vim.vm.customization.Specification</_type>

<encryptionKey>

But, according to this doc, this parameter is not mandatory.

http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/visdk25pubs/ReferenceGuide/vim.vm.customization.Speci...

0 Kudos
RS_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is what apears in vpxd.log when everything's good :

Successfully created directory C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc-7

Create sysprep file package. Params:

file = C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc18.tmp

binary dir = C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\

options = -quiet -mini -reseal -reboot

config = C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc-7

sysprep = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\svr2003

tools =

native =

nativeArgs =

Successfully created file C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc19.tmp

Creating cab file imc19.tmp

Adding C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\guestcustutil.exe as guestcustutil.exe

Adding C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\imgcust-reboot.exe as imgcust-reboot.exe

Adding C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc-7\i386\$OEM$\bootrun.exe as sysprep\i386\$OEM$\bootrun.exe

Adding C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc-7\i386\$OEM$\bootrunMsg.dll as sysprep\i386\$OEM$\bootrunMsg.dll

Adding C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc-7\i386\$OEM$\cmdlines.txt as sysprep\i386\$OEM$\cmdlines.txt

Adding C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc-7\i386\$OEM$\finalizationsetup.bat as sysprep\i386\$OEM$\finalizationsetup.bat

Adding C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc-7\i386\$OEM$\finalize.bat as sysprep\i386\$OEM$\finalize.bat

Adding C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc-7\i386\$OEM$\guestcustutil.exe as sysprep\i386\$OEM$\guestcustutil.exe

Adding C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc-7\i386\$OEM$\imgcust-reboot.exe as sysprep\i386\$OEM$\imgcust-reboot.exe

Adding C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc-7\i386\$OEM$\imgres\de\loginblockerRes.dll as sysprep\i386\$OEM$\imgres\de\loginblockerRes.dll

Adding C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc-7\i386\$OEM$\imgres\ja\loginblockerRes.dll as sysprep\i386\$OEM$\imgres\ja\loginblockerRes.dll

Adding C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc-7\i386\$OEM$\imgres\zh-CN\loginblockerRes.dll as sysprep\i386\$OEM$\imgres\zh-CN\loginblockerRes.dll

Adding C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc-7\i386\$OEM$\loginblocker.exe as sysprep\i386\$OEM$\loginblocker.exe

Adding C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc-7\sysprep.inf as sysprep\sysprep.inf

Adding C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\svr2003\setupcl.exe as deploy\setupcl.exe

Adding C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\svr2003\sysprep.exe as deploy\sysprep.exe

Adding C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server
sysprepDecrypter.exe as sysprepDecrypter.exe

Flushing...

Added file guestcustutil.exe

Added file imgcust-reboot.exe

Added file sysprep\i386\$OEM$\bootrun.exe

Added file sysprep\i386\$OEM$\bootrunMsg.dll

Added file sysprep\i386\$OEM$\cmdlines.txt

Added file sysprep\i386\$OEM$\finalizationsetup.bat

Added file sysprep\i386\$OEM$\finalize.bat

Added file sysprep\i386\$OEM$\guestcustutil.exe

Added file sysprep\i386\$OEM$\imgcust-reboot.exe

Added file sysprep\i386\$OEM$\imgres\de\loginblockerRes.dll

Added file sysprep\i386\$OEM$\imgres\ja\loginblockerRes.dll

Added file sysprep\i386\$OEM$\imgres\zh-CN\loginblockerRes.dll

Added file sysprep\i386\$OEM$\loginblocker.exe

Added file sysprep\sysprep.inf

Added file deploy\setupcl.exe

Added file deploy\sysprep.exe

Added file sysprepDecrypter.exe

Successfully deleted file/directory C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc19.tmp

Successfully deleted file/directory C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\imc-7

Can anyone post the same thing with vcenter 2.5 to compare ? Thx Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Like I said before, I'm afraid this is beyond me.

I think you better open a call for this.

The only difference I can see is that in the vSphere API 4.0 the VirtualMachineCloneSpec object has a new property, called snapshot, which wasn't there in the VI API 2.5 VirtualMachineCloneSpec object.

0 Kudos
RobMokkink
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

My P.I. is already testing the script. Since i don't have my vSphere lab up and running at work Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
RobMokkink
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

My P.I. had the same problems. vCenter server services crashes when the clone reaches 97%.

I looked at the snapshot option, but that is not a required option.

Maybe it is a bug Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

True, it's not a required parameter but the total number of parameters for the method changed.

I strongly suggest to open a support call Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
RS_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi LucD,

Thanks for your answer, before calling the support can you tell me where i can search (if it's not )

Edit : seen here http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/visdk400pubs/vsdk400behaviorchanges.html

New privilege Datastore.AllocateSpace.

The new privilege

Datastore.AllocateSpace

applies
to the following previously-existing methods:

* Folder.CreateVM_Task

* VirtualMachine.CloneVM_Task

* VirtualMachine.ReconfigVM_Task

* VirtualMachine.RelocateVM_Task

* VirtualMachine.CloneVM_Task

and here is the SDK ReferenceGuide : http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/visdk400pubs/ReferenceGuide/index.html

0 Kudos
RS_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i Might found something :

vCenter Server Issues

<!-- 28-apr-2009; bug 382167 -->

vCenter Server Does Not Handle Errors Properly for diskMoveType Property of VirtualMachineRelocateSpec

The <code>diskMoveType</code> property of the <code>VirtualMachineRelocateSpec</code> data object must contain one of the <code>VirtualMachineRelocateDiskMoveOptions</code> enumerations. If you set the value of <code>diskMoveType</code>

to anything other than one of these enumerations, the vCenter Server

does not notify you of the error and instead, might set the <code>diskMoveType</code> to <code>moveAllDiskBackingsAndAllowSharing</code>. Depending upon your specific use case, this disk type might be inappropriate. When creating a <code>VirtualMachineRelocateSpec</code> (for use with <code>CloneVM_Task</code> or <code>RelocateVM_Task</code> operations) set the <code>diskMoveType</code> to the proper value from the <code>VirtualMachineDiskMoveOptions</code> enumerated type.

See the vSphere API ReferenceGuide for information about the VirtualMachineRelocateDiskMoveOptions enumerated type.

RS_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found !!!!!!!!!!!

removing VMware.Vim.CustomizationGuiRunOnce object and it works :

#$vmcSpec.Customization.Identity.guiRunOnce = New-Object VMware.Vim.CustomizationGuiRunOnce

#$vmcSpec.Customization.Identity.guiRunOnce.commandList = $RunOnce

0 Kudos