VMware Cloud Community
halr9000
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Default settings for New-VM

You may have noticed that New-VM requires much less input than creating a VM in the VI Client. You can get away with specifying as little as a name and a VMhost. What I'm trying to do is document what the defaults are for all of hte other settings. Some are pretty straightforward, others are not. If anybody can help fill out this list or make corrections I would appreciate it.

• ResourcePool - VMHost's default pool

• Location (requires VC) - root of datacenter in which VMhost resides

• Datastore - ?? I don't know how this is determined. The volume with the lowest VMFS ID?

• DiskMB - 4000 (4 GB)

• DiskPath - same as datastore

• MemoryMB - 256 MB

• NumCpu - 1

• Floppy - $false

• CD - $false

• GuestId - winXPProGuest

• AlternateGuestName - $null

• NetworkName - ??

• Description - $null

Author of the upcoming book: Managing VMware Infrastructure with PowerShell

Co-Host, PowerScripting Podcast ()

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nnedev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi there,

I have some comments on your post:

• Datastore - the first available datastore for the VMHost. We use HostSystem.datastore property to get available datastores.

• DiskMB - 4096 (4GB)

• NetworkName - The name of the first accessible network on the host. We use EnvironmentBrowser.QueryConfigTarget to get the list of networks available for the virtual network adapters.

• DiskPath - If you don't provide value for this parameter a the new disk is stored in the virtual machine folder.

Thanks,

Nedko

Regards, Nedko Nedev PowerCLI Development Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nnedev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi there,

I have some comments on your post:

• Datastore - the first available datastore for the VMHost. We use HostSystem.datastore property to get available datastores.

• DiskMB - 4096 (4GB)

• NetworkName - The name of the first accessible network on the host. We use EnvironmentBrowser.QueryConfigTarget to get the list of networks available for the virtual network adapters.

• DiskPath - If you don't provide value for this parameter a the new disk is stored in the virtual machine folder.

Thanks,

Nedko

Regards, Nedko Nedev PowerCLI Development Team
0 Kudos
halr9000
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Perfect, thanks.

Author of the upcoming book: Managing VMware Infrastructure with PowerShell

Co-Host, PowerScripting Podcast (http://powerscripting.net)

My signature used to be pretty, but then the forum software broked it. vExpert. Microsoft MVP (Windows PowerShell). Author, Podcaster, Speaker. I'm @halr9000
0 Kudos