VMware Cloud Community
GregorSm
Contributor
Contributor

Debugging GuestDiskExpansion_WindowsGuest.bat

[1] VMware vSphere PowerCLI 5.1 Release 2 Build 1012425

[2] Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter with Service Pack 1, single virtual Hard Disk 1, single SCSI Controller 0 of type VMware Paravirtual

I tried to use [1] to expand a virtual disk and partition capacity on a virtual machine [2] like this:

Get-HardDisk -VM "..." | Set-HardDisk -CapacityGB 40 -GuestUser "..." -GuestPassword "..." -ResizeGuestPartition -Confirm:$False

Set-HardDisk : 05.03.2013 16:27:44    Set-HardDisk        Execution of the  script in guest OS on VM '...' failed: 'The system cannot find the drive specified.

Specified disk "0" was not found

'

At line:1 char:36

+ Get-HardDisk -VM "..." | Set-HardDisk -CapacityGB 40 -GuestUser "...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (...:VirtualMachineImpl) [Set-HardDisk], VimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_RunScriptInGuestHelper_RunScriptFileInGuest_ScriptError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.VirtualDevice.SetHardDisk

WARNING: The system cannot find the drive specified.

Specified disk "0" was not found

The virtual disk size was changed correctly but the partition inside the VM was not extended. So I looked under the hood. GuestDiskExpansion_WindowsGuest.bat gets executed inside the VM with parameters Bus Number = 0, Unit number = 0, Partition = "", ControllerType = SCSI. However DiskPart returns disk type as SAS (disk_type = SAS). Also in the batch file line 90:

set disk_target=!disk_target:~0,-1!

It strips a valid disk target number 0 to an empty string! My questions are:

1. how can I trace disk type mismatch, why does Set-HardDisk pass the disk type as SCSI instead of SAS?
  2. is line 90 a bug, should it be removed?

Regards

Gregor

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GregorSm
Contributor
Contributor

Since nobody bothered to answer... I tried to dig a bit more, I took a VM [2], but this time with a LSI Logic SAS controller. Set-HardDisk -ResizeGuestPartition was successful. So, is Paravirtual SCSI adapter supported with ResizeGuestPartition? If not, could you please add support in the very next PowerCLI release?

Gregor

0 Kudos
andrey_anastaso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Gregor,

Thanks for reporting the issue! I filed it in the internal bugtracking system to make sure we'll look into it. If you need a temporary workaround, one possible solution is to write a custom script and run it inside guests through the Invoke-VMScript cmdlet.

Best Regards,

Andrey

0 Kudos