VMware Cloud Community
AaronGlow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DataStore housekeeping

I need to audit my storage environment as it is filling up on 2 vcenters.

Phase 1

First I looked at the current VMs that are running and where their files are located.

get-vm | fl name, Host, DatastoreIdList, PowerState

This shows me most of what I am looking for, but I see that some of these VM are connected to multiple DataStores(DS) even though there is only one listed under the VM configuration.  So I have some info and I am not sure what DS is correct or why its listing multiples

Phase 2

Then some the luns have VMs that removed from inventory that are no longer needed.  These VM are consuming valuable resources and I would like to retain the VMDK and configs to a backup location.

Is there a way to see/export a complete list of folders on each DS sorted by the least recently accessed?

Many Thanks!

Aaron

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1) Could it be that some of the VMs have harddisks that are located on other datastores then where the VM's folder is located.

You can check with

Get-VM | Get-Harddisk |

Select @{N='VM';E={$_.Parent.Name}},Name,FileName

2) You can check for orphaned files with the script in Orphaned files and folders – Spring cleaning

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1) Could it be that some of the VMs have harddisks that are located on other datastores then where the VM's folder is located.

You can check with

Get-VM | Get-Harddisk |

Select @{N='VM';E={$_.Parent.Name}},Name,FileName

2) You can check for orphaned files with the script in Orphaned files and folders – Spring cleaning

0 Kudos
AaronGlow
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick response and btw i have been reading on your blog for some time.  So thank you for keeping that updated!  So just to be sure as I do not want to remove anything yet but all I would need to do to collect the info and not delete would be to remove this?

param(

[parameter(Mandatory=$true,ValueFromPipeline=$true)]

[PSObject[]]$Datastore,

[switch]$Delete

)

Thank you!

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you do not add the Delete switch on the call, the function will only list the orphaned files.

See the Sample Runs further down the post

0 Kudos
RWurgley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LucD,

Is there a way to alter your housekeeping script to move the files to a "Cleanup" folder on the datastore, instead of deleting them?

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That is a good idea!
It's not in the current version of the script, but it shouldn't be too hard to add that functionality.

0 Kudos