VMware Cloud Community
lck_kkl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Create Automatic Pool (Linked Clone) using powerCLI

HI,

I am trying to use powerCLI to create automatic pool (linked clone). I came across the following cmdlet in theVMware powershell integration white paper:

Get-ViewVC -serverName <IP/FQDN> | Add-AutomaticLinkedClonePool -pool_id

TestAutomaticLinkedClonePool -namePrefix pad -parentVMPath /<datacenter>/vm/<parentVM>

-parentSnapshotPath /<Snapshot> -vmFolderPath /<datacenter>/vm -resourcePoolPath

/<datacenter>/host/<ESX>/Resources -dataStoreSpecs /<datacenter>/host/<ESX>/<datastore>

-composer_ad_id <composer ad id>

Now, I want help with finding out (with an example will be very helpful) how do you specify and how do you locate each of the following (like what should i put after each of these):

-parentVMPath

-parentSnapshotPath

-vmFolderPath

-resourcePoolPath

-dataStoreSpecs

-composer_ad_id

Please give an example of each if possible.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Ok, I'll give it a try.

The parentVMPath parameter expects the path to the VM from which you want to spawn the pool (obviously).

Such a path looks something like this: /MyDC/vm/MyVM

Where MyDC is the datacentername, the vm folder is the hidden folder that holds the VMs and Templates hierachy and finally the name of the VM itself.

If your master VM is deeper in the folder structure, just add the folders to the path.

Ex: /MyDC/vm/Folder1/Folder2/MyVM

The parentSnapshotPath is similar to the previous parameter, but obviously should point to the snapshot from which the pool should clone.

Alan has a nice function to retrieve the snapshotpath in Update and re-composure of View Pools.

The vmFolderPath is where the VMs that are created for the pool should be stored.

Again similar to the previous parameters, but now for the folder.

Ex: /MyDC/vm/PoolFolder

resourcePoolPath should point to a resourcepool.

Such a path will look something like this: /MyDC/host/MyCluster/Resources/MyResourcePool

Note that host and Resources are again hidden folders !

datastoreSpecs: this one is not the most obvious one.

It wants the full path to a datastore in a cluster as specified by a resource pool.

See the VVGetDatastorePath function presented in Determining Paths to vSphere Datastore Objects

The composer_ad_id wants the ID of the AD domain in which the composer is a member server.

You can get this through: Get-ComposerDomain | select composer_ad_id

As a side note, have a look at the PowerShell Integration with View 5.0 white paper. It's perhaps not intended for the latest View version,

but it explains some of the parameters a lot better than I could :smileygrin:

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Ok, I'll give it a try.

The parentVMPath parameter expects the path to the VM from which you want to spawn the pool (obviously).

Such a path looks something like this: /MyDC/vm/MyVM

Where MyDC is the datacentername, the vm folder is the hidden folder that holds the VMs and Templates hierachy and finally the name of the VM itself.

If your master VM is deeper in the folder structure, just add the folders to the path.

Ex: /MyDC/vm/Folder1/Folder2/MyVM

The parentSnapshotPath is similar to the previous parameter, but obviously should point to the snapshot from which the pool should clone.

Alan has a nice function to retrieve the snapshotpath in Update and re-composure of View Pools.

The vmFolderPath is where the VMs that are created for the pool should be stored.

Again similar to the previous parameters, but now for the folder.

Ex: /MyDC/vm/PoolFolder

resourcePoolPath should point to a resourcepool.

Such a path will look something like this: /MyDC/host/MyCluster/Resources/MyResourcePool

Note that host and Resources are again hidden folders !

datastoreSpecs: this one is not the most obvious one.

It wants the full path to a datastore in a cluster as specified by a resource pool.

See the VVGetDatastorePath function presented in Determining Paths to vSphere Datastore Objects

The composer_ad_id wants the ID of the AD domain in which the composer is a member server.

You can get this through: Get-ComposerDomain | select composer_ad_id

As a side note, have a look at the PowerShell Integration with View 5.0 white paper. It's perhaps not intended for the latest View version,

but it explains some of the parameters a lot better than I could :smileygrin:

lck_kkl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Immensely Helpful. Thanks a lot!!

0 Kudos
lck_kkl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey,

if i was to write a function to which i pass 3 strings, and then use these as my pool_id, what would be the syntax?

for e.g. if i passed it (number 1, word, number 2)

and then i want these to be used as my pool id (-pool_id "number1_word_number2"),

what should be the syntax?

Thanks

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Ok, assume the parameter of your function looks like this

param([int]$arg1,[string]$arg2,[int]$arg3)

then you could create a string with the pool_id as follows

$poolId = [string]$arg1 + "_" + $arg2 + "_" + [int]$arg3

and use it as

... -pool_id $poolId...

0 Kudos
lck_kkl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

awesome!! thanks

0 Kudos