VMware Cloud Community
AnonAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Copying logs that have changed

I'm working a script where I'd like to copy logs from a hosts vmfs-based scratchconfig location to a CIFS (network) share. However, similar to the robocopy utility where it only moves newer files to the destination, I'd like to somehow do that around the Copy-DatastoreItem cmdlet.

Connect-VIServer hostname -User "user" -Password "password"

$datastore = Get-Datastore "DS Name"

New-PSDrive -Location $datastore -Name ds -PSProvider VimDatastore -Root "\"

Set-Location ds:\

$source = get-childitem ds:\log\

$target = Get-ChildItem \\network\share\

ROBOCOPY $source $target *.* /E /COPYALL | out-file C:\temp\LogReport.txt -Append

Disconnect-VIServer -hostname -Confirm:$false

Unfortunately, robocopy doesn't ingest the $source & $target directory paths as I'd hoped and thus fails - so I’m wondering if there’s a suitable replacement for robocopy in this regard. I'm using PowerCLI 5.0 build 435427. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AnonAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As I think this through, I may have thought up an easier way to move these files - albeit not as elegent. I'll just copy all of the files from the vmfs datastore to a local directory. Then I'll just disconnect and, from there, launch the robocopy at the end of the script and manipulate the source/destination content.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

The VimDatastore provider is somewhat limited in what it allows you to do.

Did you try with the Copy-Item cmdlet  and a filter (Where-clause) on the LastWriteTime proprty ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
AnonAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, LucD- I'm going to research using the Copy-Item cmdlet now because I just discovered that the Copy-DatastoreItem cmdlet does not retain the date/timestamp after copying to its destination. Thus my plan of following up with robocopy to do the comparison will not work since these original timestamps are not retained.

0 Kudos