VMware Cloud Community
Spaddy
Contributor
Contributor

Copy-VMGuestFile Timeout Issue

I'm currently experiencing an issue trying to copy large (>100Mb) files to VMs using Copy-VMGuestFile; it seems that it will consistently fail after 1 minute and 45 seconds of transfer time (give or take a couple of seconds) with an error of:

The request was aborted: The request was canceled

I've tried different files and different VMs, but it always seems to fail after ~1:45

PowerCLI 5.0.1

Powershell 2.0

vSphere 5.0.0

Windows 7 x64 client copying to a Server 2008 R2 guest.

Normally I'd just find another way to transfer the files, but these guests are on an isolated network with limited physical access, so a direct copy like this is by far the easiest way to do it.

Any suggestions?

2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Did you run the cmdlet from a 32-bit PowerCLI session ?

See the Release Notes.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
AdrianTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know this is a very old post however this issue is caused by a Timeout of WebOperationTimeoutSeconds which is set in the PowerCLIConfiguration configuration. In order to resolve you can set the value to infinite by executing Set-PowerCLIConfiguration -WebOperationTimeoutSeconds -1 as an Administrator, restart PowerCLI and then rerun the cmdlet and it should succeed.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Cheers,