VMware Cloud Community
panhvr
Contributor
Contributor

Connect-HVServer Could not find user

Even after using recent version of view and powercli we are still seeing below error while trying to connect to connection broker

Connect-HVServer : ExceptionType : VMware.Hv.EntityNotFound

ErrorMessage : Could not find user or group in AD

Id : VMware.Hv.UserOrGroupId

At line:1 char:1

Have created new user account and added directly to view admin but still same error.

Any resolution or workaround is greatly appreciated

Thanks 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I assume you already found KB2148374 then?

Did you already check the VDM logs on the Connection Server?

Any messages containing Domain and/or SID in there?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
panhvr
Contributor
Contributor

Hello LucD

yeah I tried setting up new account and added directlry to view console as suggested in the KB but same issue.

Yes in logs I do see it error Cannot get domain base DN by SID -----

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Could be a SID history thing, see Re: Connect-HVServer Could not find user or group in AD

0 Kudos
Magneet
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did you use domain\username for the popup box that you get or in the script? Via powercli connecting is not domain aware. For scripts I always do this:

$hvserver1=connect-hvserver $hvservername -domain $domain -username $username -password $password -WarningAction silentlyContinue -erroraction stop

please be aware that all used variables need to be plain tekst so you need to work around that using a txt file that has it encrypted.

0 Kudos
panhvr
Contributor
Contributor

Tried connecting using domainname\useraccount also but same error. Even used variables to  define domain,username and password but same error.

SID history clear is still pending, needs to work with active directory team here.

0 Kudos
panhvr
Contributor
Contributor

Created new AD account and provided direct access to view admin page. When tried login from POWERCLI it gives error "Could not find user or group in AD" But when checked logs on connection broker for the user account it is successful authentication, even in the view admin page logs shows as successfully connected so bug with powercli for view remains same.

Opened a SR with VMware but noluck, they said powercli for view has lots of bugs reported and they are working on many PR.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Thanks for sharing that, doesn't sound like there might be a solution soon :smileyshocked:

0 Kudos
ja1832
Contributor
Contributor

What we found is that it was sid history on the global groups.  Are you still finding "Cannot get domain base DN by SID" in the logs after you try to authenticate to PowerCli?

0 Kudos
JG271269
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I had the same issue and the company I work for has their admin accounts in the root domain but the Horizon servers are in a resource domain.

When I used my admin account, I got the same error as you.

If I used an account in the same domain as the Horizon servers, it worked. You may have to create and define such an account as an administrator first.

0 Kudos