VMware Cloud Community
schistad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cmdlets for the new storage capabilities

As far as I can see, the latest build of the PowerCLI is still missing the ability to set and display the "Storage Capabilities" introduced in vSphere 5.0. It also seems to be missing any hooks into StorageDRS.

Has anyone used these capabilities through powershell, maybe through the underlying .NET objects?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CSIEnvironments
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Take a look at the excellent article by Jake Robinson:

http://geekafterfive.com/2012/03/06/vcloud-powercli-svmotion/

EDIT: Sorry I see you weren't talking about within vCloud Director Smiley Happy Trigger happy!

EDIT 2: Nice article LucD, must have missed that! I should probably go read all your posts pre 2011.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

In PowerCLI 5.0.1 you have the Get-DatastoreCluster.

I did a post on storage DRS, see vSphere 5 Top 10 – Storage DRS

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

schistad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey there Luc, I had a feeling your reply might be speedy as indeed it was Smiley Happy Tryly awesome work there, I am almost certainly going to use these commandlets, a thousand thanks for that.

I also saw a post from last september where you mention that VMware chose to keep the Storage Profile parts of the API private, and I guess this still applies in 5.0u1 then.

What I specifically was looking for was a way to create custom capabilities, and associate them with datastores. In a semi-large environment it can quickly become cumbersome to manually apply these tags.

Still, much better than nothing so again thanks!

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Afaik the API are still private.

As also confirmed by William in VM Storage profile specific APi

0 Kudos
schistad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the input folks.

Having now familiarized myself with the subject I must say it's more than a little ridiculous that the storage profiles have no API hooks. This more or less makes them useless to existing customers with hundreds or thousands of VMs deployed without any profiles associated with them.

You cannot multi-select in the vSphere client either, so the way you'd actually have to do it is to go through each and every VM by hand, right-click on them, enter the storage profiles management, choose one and apply it to the disks. Rinse, repeat. 300 times in our case.

If any VMware employes happen to read this: Consider this my input on the matter - storage profiles are just a bullet point until you enable automation. No enterprise admin will ever have the time to manually walk through is existing VMs and set a storage profile for them.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Couldn't agree more !

Automation capabilities of new features are apparently not the top priority Smiley Sad

0 Kudos