VMware Cloud Community
aaronwsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Clone VM Without Quiescing?

We use PowerCLI 5.1 to automate routine cloning of some VMs.  Since upgrading VMTools to 5.1, some VMs cronically fail to clone with this error when attempting to create a snapshot:

The guest OS has reported an error during quiescing. The error code was: 5 The error message was: 'VssSyncStart' operation failed: IDispatch error #8460 (0x8004230c)

To date, we've only had success recovering from this issue by restarting the VM, which is not ideal.  From researching, we could opt for a crash-consistent clone by avoiding the quiescing of the file system.  I did manually try taking a snapshot of the VM with quiescing enabled, and got the same error above.  When I do not quiesc, the snapshot is successful.

Is it possible to configure a VirtualMachineCloneSpec to avoid quiescing the file system (i.e. create a crash-consistent clone?)  Been searching around in the API and have not come across anything so far that leads me to believe it's possible.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Provided you are not using ESXi 5.1 U1, did you already try the resolution documented in KB2009065 ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Provided you are not using ESXi 5.1 U1, did you already try the resolution documented in KB2009065 ?

0 Kudos
aaronwsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for that KB!  We have ESXi 5.1U1 deployed, but VMTools is 9217 (9.0.1, build 913578), which if I'm correct is from patch ESXi510-201212402-BG.  We have not deployed the tools from 5.1U1: VMTools 9221 (9.0.5, build 1065307.)

I implemented the workaround with success, as we are not yet prepared to roll out VMTools 9221.

Would still be great to know though if there's a way to specify a VM clone spec without quiescing?  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In the cmdlet, nor in the underlying method there is a quiesce option afaik.

Would be interested to learn if that is possible as well.

0 Kudos