VMware Cloud Community
DroppedAtBirth
Contributor
Contributor

Change VM IP Address

I am trying to use the example Change IP powershell on but keep getting the same error.

The term 'Find-EntityView' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the term a nd try again.

Any better examples or can someone tell me what I may be missing? All I am changing from the Example is the values that is has in red.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi, there was some old stuff in the FAQ that I have just updated. Could you try again?

0 Kudos
DroppedAtBirth
Contributor
Contributor

Tried the new sample, changing out he "<Target IP Address>" with the new IP and "Test" with the VM Name. Getting the following error.

Unexpected token 'vmclonespec' in expression or statement.

More Info

Believe i am running latest toolkit "VMware VI Toolkit for Windows 1.0 build 113525" is what is reported in ps.

0 Kudos
DroppedAtBirth
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone have a working example of change IP?

0 Kudos
donvito213
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There,

I'm also using this script to try and configure IP address on a newly deployed VM (powered off) and ran into this exception which looks like it happens after this line:

$vmmor.CloneVM_Task($target.MoRef ,$name, $vmclonespec )

Exception calling "CloneVM_Task" with "3" argument(s): "The operation is not supported on the object." At line:1 char:20 + $vmmor.CloneVM_Task <<<< ($target.MoRef ,$name, $vmclonespec ) + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (Smiley Happy [], MethodInvocationException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

Any ideas? I'm using this script and new to powershell and VI Toolkit Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

That's a rather old post.

In the latest PowerCLI build you can find the Set-VMGuestNetworkInterface cmdlet.

Perhaps that could help you ?

Note that it only works for Windows 2003 and up and RHEL 5.

Blog: LucD notes

Twitter: lucd22

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
donvito213
Contributor
Contributor

Hi LucD,

Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

I downloaded and installed VMWare vSphere PowerCLI (VMware-Vim4PS-1.5.0-142961) on my PC running Windows 7 Enterprise which also has PowerShell included by Windows.

I open the "VI Toolkit", connect to the ESX host that is hosting the newly deployed VM as:

Connect-VIServer <server_name> -User <username> -Password <password>

But looks like the cmdlet "Set-VMGuestNetworkInterface" doesn't exist. I only see the combination of "Set-VMHost... " but not for "guest". Am I overlooking something? Or is it because I'm not running Windows 2003 or RHEL5? Please let me know. Smiley Happy

Thanks,

donvito213

0 Kudos
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership

You installed an old version. The latest version is VMware-Vim4PS-4.0.1-208462. You can download it from http://www.vmware.com/go/powercli. If you have installed that version and run the cmdlet Get-PowerCLIVersion you should get the next output:

[vSphere PowerCLI] C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI> Get-PowerCLIVersion

PowerCLI Version
----------------
VMware vSphere PowerCLI 4.0 U1 build 208462

Robert

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition
0 Kudos
donvito213
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Robert! I didn't realize I got an older version of PowerCLI; now I have the current version.

Now I'm able to see the cmdlet set-vmguestnetworkinterface but running into problems trying to configure an IP address to eth0 interface of a Linux VM that has eth0, eth1, and eth2 interfaces:

PS C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VIToolkitForWindows> get-vm <*****> |

Get-VMGuestNetworkInterface -HostUser <***> -HostPassword <**> -GuestUser <***> -GuestPassword <*****>

VMId : VirtualMachine-368

SubnetMask :

NicId : VirtualMachine-368/4000

Name : eth0

IPPolicy : Dhcp

Ip :

Dns : {##.###.###.###, ##.##.##.##}

DefaultGateway :

Description : Ethernet

Mac : ######

RouteInterfaceId : eth0

DnsPolicy : Dhcp

WinsPolicy :

Wins :

SubnetMask :

NicId : VirtualMachine-368/4001

Name : eth1

Ip :

Dns : {#######}

DefaultGateway :

RouteInterfaceId : eth1

WinsPolicy :

Wins :

SubnetMask :

NicId : VirtualMachine-368/4002

Name : eth2

Ip :

Dns : {#####}

DefaultGateway :

RouteInterfaceId : eth2

WinsPolicy :

Wins :

SubnetMask : 255.0.0.0

NicId :

Name : lo

Ip : 127.0.0.1

Dns : {######}

DefaultGateway :

Description : Local Loopback

Mac :

RouteInterfaceId : lo

WinsPolicy :

Wins :

PS C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VIToolkitForWindows> Set-VMGuestNetwor

kInterface -VmGuestNetworkInterface eth0 -vm <***> -GuestUser <**> -GuestPassw

ord <***> -ip <***> -netmask <***> -gateway <****>

Set-VMGuestNetworkInterface : Cannot bind parameter 'VmGuestNetworkInterface'. Cannot convert the "eth0" value of type "System.String" to type "VMware.VimAuto mation.Types.VMGuestNetworkInterface". At line:1 char:53 + Set-VMGuestNetworkInterface -VmGuestNetworkInterface <<<< eth0 -vm <**> - GuestUser <**> -GuestPassword <**> -ip <*> -netmask <*> -gateway <**> + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (Smiley Happy [Set-VMGuestNetworkInterfac e], ParameterBindingException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,VMware.VimAutomat ion.VimAutomation.Commands.SetVmGuestNetworkInterface

Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this exception? Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership

There are more people with the same problem in thread . The cause of your problem might be that the networkinterface is not connected. Otherwise take a look at a different solution in this blogpost by Alan Renouf:

PowerCLI: Changing a VM IP Address with Invoke-VMScript.

Regards, Robert

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition
0 Kudos
donvito213
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Robert,

Sorry for replying late. I am still strugglling to get this command to work without getting errors:

PS C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VIToolkitForWindows&gt; $vmGuestNetworkIn

terface = Get-VM &lt;**&gt; | `Get-VMGuestNetworkInterface -HostUser &lt;****&gt;-Host

Password &lt;**&gt; -GuestUser &lt;*&gt; -GuestPassword &lt;**&gt;| `Where-Object { $_

.Name -eq "eth0" }

WARNING: The version of VMware Tools on VM 'clayton-lnx' is out of date and may cause Copy-VMGuestFile to work improperly.

Get-VMGuestNetworkInterface : 4/30/2010 4:09:10 PM Get-VMGuestNetworkInterfa ce A6A57C46-E9EE-419D-B8FE-B2E745D28B2E Unable to parse script output.

At line:1 char:77 + $vmGuestNetworkInterface = Get-VM clayton-lnx | `Get-VMGuestNetworkInterface &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; -HostUser root -HostPassword netscreen -GuestUser &lt;****&gt; -GuestPassword &lt;***&gt; | `Where-Object { $_.Name -eq "eth0" } + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (Smiley Happy [Get-VMGuestNetworkInterfac e], ViError + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_VmHostServiceImpl_GetVmGuestNetworkInte rface_UnableToParse,VMware.VimAutomation.VimAutomation.Commands.GetVmGuest NetworkInterface

Even running a more basic command still yields the same exact error of "Unable to parse script output":

PS C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VIToolkitForWindows&gt; Get-VM &lt;*&gt; | Get-VMGuestNetworkInterface -HostUser &lt;*&gt; -HostPassword &lt;*&gt; -GuestUser &lt;*&gt; -GuestPassword &lt;**&gt;

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership

There are more people facing the same problem in thread . The cause of your problem might be that the networkinterface is not connected. Otherwise take a look at a different solution by Alan Renouf:

PowerCLI: Changing a VM IP Address with Invoke-VMScript.

Regards, Robert

0 Kudos
donvito213
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Robert,

I did check to ensure the VM has its network interface "connected" with the checkmark next to it. Also, I made sure the MAC address for eth0 was specified in the ifcfg-eth0 file as well but that did not work. I will check out the Invoke-VMScript. Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
donvito213
Contributor
Contributor

There was one time I managed to get this working perfectly with a similar command below but now I'm getting a new error about "no such file/directory at /tmp/vmware0 line 31":

PS C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VIToolkitForWindows&gt; Get-VM sw5-3 | Ge t-VMGuestNetworkInterface -HostUser root -HostPassword &lt;***&gt; -GuestUser root -GuestPassword &lt;***&gt;| ? {$_.Name -eq "eth0"} | Set-VMGuestNetworkInterface -ip &lt;IPADDR&gt; -netmask &lt;NETMASK&gt; -gateway &lt;GATEWAY&gt;

WARNING: The version of VMware Tools on VM 'sw5-3' is out of date and may cause Copy-VMGuestFile to work improperly.

Get-VMGuestNetworkInterface : 5/5/2010 5:24:16 PM Get-VMGuestNetworkInterfac e A1868FB9-91A0-4942-B681-962448833706 Execution of the script in guest OS on VM 'sw5-3' failed: 'No such file or directory at /tmp/vmware0 line 31. ' At line:1 char:43 + Get-VM sw5-3 | Get-VMGuestNetworkInterface &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; -HostUser root -HostPassword &lt;PASSWORD&gt; -GuestUser root -GuestPassword &lt;PASSWORD| ? {$_.Name -eq "eth0"} | Set-VMGuestNetworkInterface -ip &lt;IPADDR&gt; -netmask &lt;NETMASK&gt; -gateway &lt;GATEWAY&gt; + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (sw5-3:VirtualMachineImpl) [Get-VMG uestNetworkInterface], VimException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_RunScriptInGuestHelper_RunScriptFileInG uest_ScriptError,VMware.VimAutomation.VimAutomation.Commands.GetVmGuestNet workInterface

0 Kudos