VMware Cloud Community
Justin_Y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Capture folder size of Appvolumes on Vsan

I found a few scripts and this one seems to be close. The problem is the sizes are not adding up for instance the writable_templates folder has 3 80mb tempates so it shouldn't be 30gb. I think I am seeing what the inflated Thick provision size would be but I would like to see the size on disk for all of our appvolumes. Mainly concerned about the Apps folder to have a quick way to get how much of the VSAN this is using.

$datastores = Get-Datastore

foreach($ds in $datastores){

New-PSDrive -Location $ds -Name DS -PSProvider VimDatastore -Root "\" > $null

Get-ChildItem -Path DS:\cloudvolumes | where{$_.ItemType -eq 'Folder' -and $_.Name -notmatch '^\.|^vmk|^esxconsole|tmp'} | %{

New-Object PSObject -Property @{

Datastore = $ds.Name

Folder = $_.Name

SizeGB = [math]::Round((Get-ChildItem -Path "DS:\cloudvolumes\$($_.Name)" | Measure-Object -Property Length -Sum | select -ExpandProperty Sum)/1GB)

}

}

Remove-PSDrive -Name DS -Confirm:$false

}

Datastore               SizeGB      Folder    

---------                    ------           ------         

DS01                    30      writable_templates

DS01                     0      writable                 

DS01                   745      apps               

DS01                   230      apps_templates

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

The Length value is normally the actual size of the file, not the overcommit value.

Are you sure there are no snapshots or other files in the folders?

Can you do a straight-forward list of the files in the folders, and check their value in Length.
The VMDKs that are Thin should show the actual size on the datastore

$ds = Get-Datastore -Name MyDS

New-PSDrive -Location $ds -Name DS -PSProvider VimDatastore -Root "\" > $null

Get-ChildItem -Path DS:\ | where{$_.ItemType -eq 'Folder' -and $_.Name -notmatch '^\.|^vmk|^esxconsole|tmp'} | %{

Write-Host -ForegroundColor green "-- Folder -- $($_.FullName)"

Get-ChildItem -Path "DS:\$($_.Name)" | where{$_.Name -notmatch '^\.'} | Select Name,Length

}

Remove-PSDrive -Name DS -Confirm:$false

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos