VMware Cloud Community
MBARI2
Contributor
Contributor

Bug in PowerCLI 6.5R1 - HA settings break get-vm

I am currently running 6.5a (Build 4944578) with ESXi 6.0u2 hosts.  I updated the PowerCLI on my Windows 7 computer to 6.5R1. At that point in time all my scripts were working OK.

I then made some changes to my HA cluster. Specifically I changed the HA restart priority on my VMs. As soon as I reconfigured the cluster my scripts began to fail. After a significant amount of debugging, it turned out that my VCSA was the culprit.

With the HA restart priority set to "high", I can run the command "get-vmhost xxxxx.xx.xxxxx.xxx | get-vm" and I get a list of the VMs running on that host including my VCSA.

If I reconfigure the HA restart priority to "highest", I get the following output to the same command:

C:\local\scripts> get-vmhost xxxxx.xx.xxxxx.xxx | get-vm

Name                 PowerState Num CPUs MemoryGB

----                 ---------- -------- --------

vclab                PoweredOn  2        10.000

get-vm : 3/13/2017 1:10:08 PM    Get-VM        Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

At line:1 char:34

+ get-vmhost xxxxx.xx.xxxxx.xxx | get-vm

+                                  ~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-VM], VimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_BaseCmdlet_UnknownError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.GetVM

BTW, the command "get-vm XXXX" (where XXXX is the name of my VCSA) does not return an error. It is only in conjunction with the results of the get-vmhost command are piped to it.

If I reset the restart priority to "high" everything works again.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Can't reproduce, but then my ESXi are 6.5.
Do you have an ESXi 6.5? Do they have the same issue?

Update: the ClusterDasVmSettingsRestartPriority highest priority was introduced in API 6.5, that could explain why it fails with a 6.0 ESXi node.

But the PowerCLI cmdlet should handle this, so yes, it looks like a bug to me.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos