VMware Cloud Community
vallardx
Contributor
Contributor

AutoDeploy New-Rule error

Hi friends!

Fresh vSphere 5 install.  Here is the commands I run to try to create my autodeploy setup:

Connect-VIServer 192.168.40.2 –User Administrator –Password mysecretpassword

Add-EsxSoftwareDepot C:\Vmware-Depot\Vmware-ESXi-5.0.0-469512-depot.zip

Add-EsxSoftwareDepot http://192.168.40.2/vSphere-HA-depot

New-DeployRule –Name “First” –Item “ESXi-5.0.0-469512-standard” -AllHosts

When I run the last command I get:

Downloading net-ixgbe 2.0.84.8.2-10vmw.500.0.0.469512

Download finished, uploading to AutoDeploy...

New-DeployRule : 10/12/2011/ 2:58:00 AM New-DeployRule  The underlying connection was closed:  The connection was closed unexpectedly.

At line:1 char:15

+ New-DeployRule <<<< -Name "First" -Item "ESXi-5.0.0-469512-standard" -AllHosts

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [New-DeployRule], VimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_BaseCmdlet_UnknownError,VMware.DeployAutomation.Commands.NewDeployRule

I have no idea what that means. 

I read the get-help on the command and it says:

You must have the "AutoDeploy.Rule.Create" privilege on the root folder of vCenter Server to use this cmdlet

I don't know what that means either and I haven't done anything to enable it.  I looked at the docs but couldn't find how to enable that.  Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vallardx
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still not sure what the problem was, but I reinstalled AutoDeploy and it now works.

0 Kudos
PrinceBill
Contributor
Contributor

I am new to VMWare ESXi 5.0 Architecture. I have just assembled a PC with i7 3.5 GHz processor installed on ASUS Server board P8BWS

and have enabled the Intel Bios to Virtualization.

I will appreciate assistance in installing my downloaded ESXi 5.0 Evaluation CD Installation program using an AUTO DEPLOY method

by specifiying the SCript to look into the USB flash drive for my DHCP Static IP.

My ultimate goal is to be able to create Virtualization and further install Microsoft Server 2008 R2 Server over ESXi 5.0

I have read some threads here about Auto deploy but I am still very confused. I will appreciate a step by step writeup being a novice.

If a sample AUTO DEPLOY script can be uploaded here - it will be great WHEREBY I can place the SCRIPT in my USB flash drive and have the ESXi 5x installation CD to look into that flash drive and do the following:

1). AUTO CONFIGURE PASSWORD FOR ROOT:
2). AUTO CONFIGURE DHCP Static IP without user intervention.

A sample script and a step by step write will be appreciated please.

PrinceBill

0 Kudos