VMware Cloud Community
Matthias_Hehnen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Applying non-ESX licenses using PowerCLI?

I wonder, if it's possible to apply using PowerCLI licenses to VMware products like ChargeBack, vShield and so on.

Within the vSphere 5.0 documentation a sample script is given for applying vSphere licenses in a auto deploy environment:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.install.doc_50/GUID-48AEE987-B...

Connect to the vCenter Server system you want to use and bind the associated license manager to a variable.

Connect-VIServer -Server 192.XXX.X.XX -User username -Password password
$licenseDataManager = Get-LicenseDataManager

Run a cmdlet that retrieves the datacenter in which the hosts for which you want to use the bulk licensing feature are located.

$hostContainer = Get-Datacenter -Name Datacenter-X

You  can also run a cmdlet that retrieves a cluster to use bulk licensing  for all hosts in a cluster, or retrieves a folder to use bulk licensing  for all hosts in a folder.

Create a new LicenseData object and a LicenseKeyEntry object with associated type ID and license key.

$licenseData = New-Object VMware.VimAutomation.License.Types.LicenseData
$licenseKeyEntry = New-Object Vmware.VimAutomation.License.Types.LicenseKeyEntry
$licenseKeyEntry.TypeId = "vmware-vsphere”
$licenseKeyEntry.LicenseKey = "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"

Associate the LicenseKeys attribute of the LicenseData object you created in step 3 with the LicenseKeyEntry object.

$licenseData.LicenseKeys += $licenseKeyEntry

Update the license data for the data center with the LicenseData object and verify that the license is associated with the host container.

$licenseDataManager.UpdateAssociatedLicenseData($hostContainer.Uid, $licenseData)
$licenseDataManager.QueryAssociatedLicenseData($hostContainer.Uid)

Provision  one or more hosts with Auto Deploy and assign them to the data center  or to the cluster that you assigned the license data to.

Verify that the host is successfully assigned to the default license XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.

a

Using a vSphere Client, log in to the vCenter Server system.

b

Navigate to the Configuration > License Features tab for the host and check that the correct license is displayed.

The syntax shows, that a "licenseKeyEntry.TypeID" must be defined. As such a TypeID the script uses "vmware-vsphere".

Would it be possible to replace "vmware-vsphere" with other TypeID's? Could I use i.e. "vmware.chargeback" and give then a valid chareback license key in the next line?

I did some intensive search on learning more about "$licenseKeyEntry.TypeID" without success. Unfortunately I also do not have an environment in which I could play a bit.

But perhaps someone else knows more...

Many thanks,

0 Kudos
0 Replies