VMware Cloud Community
lukeglazebrook
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone know of a PowerCLI script or free tool to quickly identify oversized VM's. It doesnt have to be pretty, just a quick and dirty report...

Anyone know of a PowerCLI script or free tool to quickly identify oversize VM's ? even a finger in the air guess.   I know many of you will immediately point me in the direction of VCOPs (which is great) we have it else where.  However this VC infrastructure is hosted by a third party and we are trying to get away from them.  Ultimately we don't really want to continue to pay exorbitant sums for what is fundamentally a very poorly managed infrastructure.

I just need a quick and dirty list of VM's based on a rough 30 day Memory average, any help/advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.         .

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

In my PowerCLI & vSphere statistics – Part 5 – Rollup Types post, there is a script that looks at average CPU and memory consumption for VMs.

It data from the last 2 minutes, you could adapt that to another time range (and remove the Realtime switch).

But the problem might be that the farther you go back in time, the less detail you will get.

One average value for memory consumption over one day, doesn't really give a lot of information I'm afraid.

I would suggest to run this for one day om a daily basis, and that for one week (or more).

The finer granularity of the data should give you a better view on consumption

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos