VMware Cloud Community
Hemijimi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Add server name when listing local user accounts

This has to be an easy one, and maybe I have been looking at the screen for too long today? I am setting up an automated script to run once a month that simply just looks and the local accounts on each hosts and sends the output to a file. I can use Get-Vmhost  |  foreach {get--viaccount} which outputs the ID and description of each user on every host attached to my vCenter, but it just runs them all together. I need to get the server name in there on each one so I know which host the ID belongs to?    

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The VIAccount object which is returned by Get-VIAccount, has more properties, including the Server property.

From there you should be able to extract the servername.

Note that you need to be connected to the ESXi server, to retrieve the local accounts from the ESXi server.

Otherwise you will get the vCenter accounts

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The VIAccount object which is returned by Get-VIAccount, has more properties, including the Server property.

From there you should be able to extract the servername.

Note that you need to be connected to the ESXi server, to retrieve the local accounts from the ESXi server.

Otherwise you will get the vCenter accounts

0 Kudos
Hemijimi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Luc and I was so hoping that would work.This is a unique situation for sure.The hosts in question are in lockdown mode and have unique passwords so attaching to the local host is not simple. I initially started down that road and I have a script that will turn the lockdown mode off/on created, but the passwords are another issue entirely since there are 150 of them.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can't you retrieve the passwords from a source (CSV file, database query...) ?

0 Kudos
Hemijimi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's been a long week 🙂 I forgot that I have AD authentication on those hosts, so it looks like I am good there and I don't need to worry about the multiple password issue. Can I connect to multiple ESXi servers using a list? I am thinking I can run a get-vmhost and pipe that to a variable and use it to call the server names, connect to each one and then run the get-viaccount and output the result to a txt file?    

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, the Connect-VIServer cmdlet accepts an array on the Server parameter.

0 Kudos