VMware Cloud Community
bassarchist
Contributor
Contributor

Add-Inventory Equivalent?

Hello all! Noobicus maximus here, please be gentle ... 😛

I haven't found anything directly related to my situation, although generally I gather that what I want to do isn't exactly possible/intended with PowerTools ...

So we've got a good 60-some odd VMs, on three ESX servers on ESX admin 3.0, with a 3.5 server almost ready for resource-pool style deployment. It's my understanding that we've been anti-standard in VM maintenance in that we don't use snapshots, and we surely don't use vmkfs for cloning/importing. Our typical process has been to clone from a 'BaseInstall' (a la whack-work-around to templates), but with an entirely new SAN/Server setup, I was told we should just be able to SCP all our VMs to the new SAN, and add the VMX's to inventory by browsing the datastore. Then I found PowerTools.

I've learned a lot today about how to remove VM's from the inventory (remove-inventory) in an automated fashion, but a reciprocal function does not appear to exist!

So my question ...

Is there any way to browse the datastore for vmx locations, then add to inventory, using PowerTools?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Have a look at

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos