VMware Cloud Community
winsolo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A missing parameter in Get-AdvancedSetting output

Snag_4b4d6a8.png

If I manually run the below command from the PowerCLI to get the advance parameter mentioning its name, it works.

Snag_4b5def1.png

But, it doesn't work with Get-VMHost -Name "host" | Get-AdvancedSetting

Snag_4b99794.png

and $esxcli.system.settings.advanced.list.Invoke() | FT

Snag_4b78492.png

I'm trying to collect all the advance parameters from multiple hosts, but neither of these snippets collect everything from the host, unless pulling it manually using its section name and option name (For ex: (@{option="/LSOM/plogPauseElevator"}))

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure what that advanced setting is doing there.
I see it as well (when specified explicitly), but it is apparently not documented anywhere.

I suspect this might be a VSAN related setting that is probably not used.

Btw, the Get-AdvancedSetting cmdlet contains way more setting than the esxcli or esxcfg-advcfg commands.

In my environment (vSphere 7.0.1) the Get-AdvancedSetting returns 1189 entries, while the esxcli and esxcfg-advcfg both return 846 entries.

Plus none of the entries returned by esxcli or esxcfg-advcfg is missing in the list produced by Get-AdvancedSetting.
I would stick with the Get-AdvancedSetting cmdlet.

You might open an SR to find out what this undocumented LSOM settings is supposed to be doing.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

winsolo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It appears to be related to vSAN destaging (cache to capacity) - a setting that disables the destaging elevator process. We've had major issues with one of our All Flash vSAN clusters due to SSD Congestion. Upon further investigation done by VMware vSAN GSS, apparently this was enabled on one of the hosts for some reason. Part of the troubleshooting involved setting this parameter back to its default value which is 0 to fix the issue.

vSAN_setting.png

Now that we've discovered an advance vSAN parameter has somehow caused an outage, we're trying to collect the complete list of all the vSAN advanced parameters with their current values to see which setting has been changed over time and set it back if possible/required. As the Get-AdvancedSetting doesn't appear to collect this particular setting and WHAT not, it makes it difficult for us to complete the list. I don't know if there's any other way to collect them all.

Thanks to have checked this for me, @LucD. I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

It looks as if those special advanced settings, you should only use on advice from GSS, are only returned when specified explicitly.
Even when I use the low-level API method QueryOptions, the setting is only returned when specified explicitly.

You could ask GSS if there is a way to find these advanced settings.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos