VMware Networking Community
Danne0824
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vDS now comes bundled with NSX for vSphere

Hi

I found some kb articles saying that we can use vDS on any vSphere edition with NSX.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2135310

• If you are using VMware vSphere 5.5 Update 3 or vSphere 6.0.x, VMware NSX for vSphere 6.x does not require a vSphere Enterprise Plus license and can run on any vSphere edition.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1010555

• Note: vDS now comes bundled with NSX for vSphere (NSXv) and VMware Virtual SAN (VSAN) in vSphere 6.0.

I have set up vSphere environment with standard license, and NSX for vSphere with Enterprise license.

But I cannot use vDS. Though I can create new vDS on vCenter, I cannot add hosts with standard license to a vDS.

I have used below products.

• ESXi 6.0.0
  • vCSA 6.0.0.
  • NSX for vSphere 6.2.1

Have anyone tried vSphere standard license with NSX?

If could, could I have some advice?

Any kinds of comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Danne

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bsalek
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thank you. In that case, I believe you are correct. I have not tried it specifically because I rarely see Standard.

Please open an SR so that Support can investigate why this is happening. Sorry I can't be more help.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
bsalek
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Can you clarify "I have set up vSphere environment with standard license, and NSX for vSphere with Enterprise license."? I'm confused about the "with Enterprise" part. Are you saying you have multiple clusters licensed differently? Or a single cluster licensed with vSphere Standard and NSX for vSphere?

Danne0824
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Bsalek,

Thank you for your reply.

I have meant to say as below.

> A single cluster licensed with vSphere Standard and NSX for vSphere

With Best Regards

Danne

0 Kudos
bsalek
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thank you. In that case, I believe you are correct. I have not tried it specifically because I rarely see Standard.

Please open an SR so that Support can investigate why this is happening. Sorry I can't be more help.

Danne0824
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear Bsalek,

Thank you very much for your swift & honest reply!

Understood, I will go ahead and talk with VMware GSS team Smiley Happy

Thanks Again With Best Regards

Danne

0 Kudos
showard1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Danne,

When you get an answer, can you post it here?  I'm interested in what's causing the problem because with the versions you mention, it should work.

Thanks

Sean

Danne0824
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear team,

Finally we have found that this is a bug of NSX.

In VMware NSX for vSphere 6.2.1, adding an ESXi host to the vSphere Distributed Switch fails with the error: Host <IP address> is not licensed for the VDS feature. Cannot add this host to dvSwitch (2143397)

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2143397

Thank you

Danne

0 Kudos
vvermani
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Danne,

How does the vDS feature become available on ESXi Hosts running with vSphere Standard License - is it just adding the NSX license key on the vCenter would make it available or do we need to do anything else ?

Many Thanks.

Thanks, VV
0 Kudos