VMware Networking Community
vesej
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Tags in NSX-T

Hi, all.

Can I share vCenter tags with NSX-T, and use them to create firewall rules in DFW? If yes, how can I achieve this goal?

vCenter tags can be shared with vRNI, but I can´t see them on NSX-T.

Regards.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jeffersonc47
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nope - NSX-T (As of 3.2.x) does not have the ability to read vCenter tags into NSX-T inventory. I've mentioned it to PM, and I've heard others doing so also. I expect it will come at some future point, but it's not here currently.

0 Kudos
vesej
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your answer.

Is it another way to do this? Maybe using vRA ou API?

Regards

0 Kudos
Czernobog
Expert
Expert

You'd have to duplicate the tabs by API calls yourself. vRA can set tags on resources, then the tag will be set in vSphere and NSX at the same time. You can use this to set a tag which allows NSX to automatically assign a VM to a security group.

0 Kudos
vplima
Contributor
Contributor

As I did not find any solution to synchronize vCenter tags with NSX-T, I created a Ansible Role that creates tags in vCenter and them synchronize those tags with NSX-T. Only tags with associated VMs are created in NSX-T though. But it is possible to schedule a playbook with this role so that you can synchronize the tags periodically and manage tags association directly in vCenter.

You can check more details in Ansible Galaxy, Role vinplima.nsx_vsphere_tags (https://galaxy.ansible.com/vinplima/nsx_vsphere_tags).