VMware Networking Community
BrandonArms
Contributor
Contributor

ssl vpn performance

has anyone encountered file transfer performance issues using ssl vpn?  i have noticed considerable performance issues with SMB and FTP file transfers from my ssl vpn connected client to my server 2012 r2 vm.  i have a vmware case open, but wanted to post to see if anyone else has tested, encountered the issue.  testing outside of ssl vpn (direct connections via server nat/ingress acl rules) is as expected.  thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ocecil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Brandon, how many users are using this particular SSLVPN? Does the file transfer performance fluctuate or is it constant? Is it effecting any other traffic? I manage a dozen different SSLVPN connections and have experience similar issues before, so perhaps I could be of help once I get more information from you.

0 Kudos
BrandonArms
Contributor
Contributor

i've performed some additional testing on this issue.  my architecture includes 2 clusters, and edge and a compute.  my ESG resides on the edge cluster, i have a vm on the edge cluster and also have another on the compute cluster.  when i connect my ssl vpn client to ym esg, and attempt ftp file transfers from my vpn client to either vm (upload) i only achive half the throughput than if i perform the file transfer in the opposite direction (download) from servers to my vpn client.  this all being done over a LAN connection so my bandwidth is symmetrical.  If i enable tcp optimization in my ssl vpn configuration for all ports (1-65535) i am able to upload with expected throughput to my vm on the same cluster as my ESG (edge).  i am unable to perform a file transfer from my vpn client to my vm on my compute cluster.  i am still able to perform successful file transfers from both vms to my vpn client.  i am currently working with an nsx escalation engineer on my issue, but wanted to post an update.

anyone else noticing any file transfer issues when connected via ssl vpn?  ive tried ftp and windows smb and experience the same performance issues. 

0 Kudos
DSS_Junior6621
Contributor
Contributor

We are seeing the same thing here. Can we get someone at vmware to enter a bug and get it fixed?

0 Kudos
MikeKane96
Contributor
Contributor

This is because SSL VPN has an extra layer of security that's why it is a little slow. More you can read here https://www.purevpn.com/blog/ssl-vpn/

0 Kudos