VMware Networking Community
niceguy001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

nsx-t only a route in service router

there's a bit issue in my nsx-t environment which is a single-tier(tier 0) topology with N-S and E-W traffic.

two logical switches are created for VMs to connect and these LS can be routed via distributed router(in the tier 0 router)

the VMs in different subnet can ping to each other and the router ports.

here's the forwarding table as shown in figure below:

DR.jpg

i found that the distributed router could not ping to 169.254.0.2 and any downlink ports such as 10.10.10.1 and 172.24.255.254

an edge VM is created to load the service router(in the tier 0 router) and provide N-S traffic,

however in the edge VM command line, the service router have a connected route alone, as shown below:

SR.JPG

i did configure the tier0 router with a uplink port (ip: 10.101.8.21) to reach the TOR switch public network(10.101.8.0/24)

but there should be transit route like 169.254.0.0/28 in the service router...

from the external network 10.101.8.0/24 i couldn't ping to 10.101.8.21 and the VMs couldn't reach the service router.

what kind of misconfigurations would that be?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
singho
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you configured EDGE-Cluster?

If yes, lets deploy one more EDGE-VM in the EDGE-Cluster and check the route status.

0 Kudos
singho
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Also check if GENEVE tunnels are UP?

0 Kudos
niceguy001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi singho​ thanks for help

after deploy the second edge vm i found that:

1. the routes are created in the edge automatically, 

2. the first edge VM transport node has "degraded" tunnel status while the second edge VM has "up" tunnel status,

3. both the distributed and service router can now ping to IP 169.254.0.1 and 169.254.0.2, and the logical switches' router port IP

the routes of service router are shown in figure below:

temp.JPG

however,

the VMs still couldn't reach the edge's uplink;

the reflexive NAT rules can not be set on the tier-0 router due to errors such as "[NAT] NAT rule with REFLEXIVE action is not supported on interface "

is it due to route redistribution issues?

0 Kudos
singho
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, Lets have route redistribution and make sure we have reverse routes to/from VM via T0.

0 Kudos
niceguy001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

it seemed that my edge VMs has connectivity problems on management interface, the SSH (and telnet)to edge always fail.. i could only ping to the management interface but the connectivity between manager and edge is up.

the troubleshoot and amin guide didn't mention about this. does anyone encounter ssh problem on the edge?

0 Kudos