VMware Networking Community
MinaMF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

monitor L2 Frame in NSX

how can i monitor L2 Frame goes out form any VM before and after VXLAN encapsulation ,  i mean before VXLAN tag and after VXLAN tag  ?

thanks ,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There are multiple tools available to capture packets.

You can capture directly on the host using pktcap-uw, which will allow you to capture traffic at various points in the stack.  The captures can be exported to file readable by Wireshark.

VMware KB: Using the pktcap-uw tool in ESXi 5.5 and later

You can also leverage port mirroring to capture traffic passing through the vDS which will send traffic to a monitoring workstation as well as other options.

You can also capture the traffic from the physical wire, on the side of the physical switch if you physical switch by using port mirroring, sending traffic to a monitoring workstation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There are multiple tools available to capture packets.

You can capture directly on the host using pktcap-uw, which will allow you to capture traffic at various points in the stack.  The captures can be exported to file readable by Wireshark.

VMware KB: Using the pktcap-uw tool in ESXi 5.5 and later

You can also leverage port mirroring to capture traffic passing through the vDS which will send traffic to a monitoring workstation as well as other options.

You can also capture the traffic from the physical wire, on the side of the physical switch if you physical switch by using port mirroring, sending traffic to a monitoring workstation.

0 Kudos
MinaMF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks very much, but i want to know how i can leverage port mirroring !...

0 Kudos
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Pages 47 through 59 of the NSX-v Operations Guide do a good job detailing the procedure to leverage port mirroring.

NSX-v Operations Guide, rev 1.5

0 Kudos