VMware Networking Community
jackejiang
Contributor
Contributor

Why promiscuous mode not work in the vds port group in vsphere 6.7

Generally when set promiscuous mode for a vds port group with vlan trunk set to 0-4094, and attach a capture vm to that port group.  The capture vm could receive traffics from the vms in other port groups in the same vds and same host. But recently in a vsphere 6.7 environment in our customer, that mechanism does not work. The capture vm can only receive some broadcast traffics. Could someone help to figure out the reasons that may affect this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I believe it's not related to the version of your vSphere, we have vSphere 6.7 and we can capture any traffic using the same scenario as yours. so please attach some screenshots of your VM and Network configuration.

In some situations, by removing and re-adding vmnic, some kind of problems like yours will be handled!

0 Kudos
jackejiang
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

We have figured out that it's broken by NSX.  It seems the port groups created by NSX(isolated by vxlan VNI not vlan?),  can not mirror traffics to the port group with  promiscuous mode enabled and vlan trunk.

The NSX version we use is 6.4.5. It's a bug of VDS?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the NSX area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos